FC Horticulture Department springs into action with plant sale

FC Horticulture Department is having their spring plant sale beginning Saturday, May 6 at 9 a.m. featuring a wide variety of new and unusual plants.

Following the departments’ tomato sale in March that brought in nearly $17,000, this sale, the department’s second largest, will offer folks all sorts of unique and desirable plants.

Brianna Hurtado, a student intern this semester, has been involved with the horticulture program at FC for about two years. She has been working for the last three weeks to prepare for the sale.

“We grow them all on our own. We cut them, propagate them and transfer them,” Hurtado said.

Hurtado is in charge of the greenhouse section of plants, which holds the hydroponic and aquaponic irrigation systems. A number of the pots she arranged are house plants or plants that can survive indoors.

Brianna Hurtado
Brianna Hurtado inside the greenhouse in Fullerton Colleges' horticulture department. Photo credit: Brian Carrillo

“Stock up while you can before the next drought hits. Don’t let the rain fool you,” warned Adam Mattingly, horticulture department intern, who tends the California native section of plants.

Mattingly has also been working hard for the spring sale and explained that proceeds from the sales helps fund the department.

“The money goes to support our internship program,” said Jeff Feaster, coordinator of the plant sale and horticulture instructor.

He explained that these sales keep the internship program going and funds the next semesters’ group of student interns with materials for the vocational program.

“There will be vegetables and peppers and house plants and shade plants. We have a wide variety,” listed Feaster.

Adam Mattingly
Student intern Adam Mattingly standing next to California native and drought tolerant plants in Fullerton Colleges horticulture department. Photo credit: Brian Carrillo

Plants being sold are plants that can be incorporated into landscapes that use less water, which may be important for California homeowners with the current drought.

Feaster encourages students to tell their families about the sale who are interested in conserving water.

Diane Komos, lab technician for the horticulture department, said that they try to grow plants that are new and unusual.

“People are tired of looking at the same 28 plants,” Komos said. “We try to grow plants you can’t get at the box store.”

Young zucchini plants, tomatoes, cucumber plants, eggplants, succulents and cactus’s, as well as California natives and drought tolerant plants will all be available during the sale.

The sale on Saturday, May 6 last from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. and continues on Sunday, May 7 from noon until 3 p.m.

The last day of the sale is Saturday, May 13 from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m.

For more information about the plant sale, visit the horticulture departments website.