Cabana Boys deliver Latin, rock, and jazz fusion to FC

Cabana Boys returned to the Fullerton College Campus Theatre with a taste of latin, jazz and rock fusion music on Thursday, May 11.

The music department’s Gregory Woll gathered this year’s ensemble to perform a selection of tropical, sun-soaked songs which began with the energetic “Captains Song.”

After the explosive opening and crowd’s applause, drummer Nico Vasquez quelled the in-between silence with the band’s opening statement, “We’re the Cabana Boys. We’re gonna play some jazz, Latin, and rock and roll. Let’s get to it.”

Cabana Boys sign
Cabana Boys played to a large crowd in the Fullerton College Campus Theatre on Thursday, May 11. Photo credit: Hector Arzola

And so they did – jumping from the hot taste of latin grooves to the cool licks of jazz with ease.

After cruising through “Bone Crusher,” “Some Skunk Funk” and “Chucho,” the band invited special guest and Grammy nominated Rob Mullins to play on piano to perform a select few of his own songs.

The band transitioned into their original song “Old School Groove,” a fiery composition directed by Woll and composed by Mullins.

Mullins skipped his weekly gig performing in a Doors tribute band to perform with the Cabana Boys, mostly in part to his dedication and friendship with Woll.

“The main reason I come back is because of Greg. He has a big heart, his approach to teaching and who he is as a guy is the reason I come back,” Mullins said.

on stage with rob mullins
Cabana Boys play on stage joined by award-winning pianist Rob Mullins at the Fullerton College Campus Theatre on Thursday, May 11. Photo credit: Hector Arzola

Because of Mullins’s love for The Doors, the band performed a rendition of “Crystal Ship,” joined by singer Laurena Corona-McNeill who crooned and added flavor to the Jim Morrison original.

The band then played another original composition, “Cool Water in the Summertime,” a song about looking for love on the breezy Venice Beach, which featured Corona-McNeill delivering the melancholic words “I need someone to love me, I need someone to care, but there’s no one there.”

The night continued with a chilling rendition of legendary soul singer Etta James’ classic “At Last” – grooved and performed by the backing band and belted with heart by Corona-McNeill with range not unlike James herself.

The band temporarily vacated the stage, allowing Mullins to deliver a solo ambient performance, full of angelic synths and haunting piano performed under a glaring spotlight.

rob solo
Award-winning pianist Rob Mullins performs a solo arrangement during the Cabana Boys show at the Fullerton College Campus Theatre on Thursday, May 11. Photo credit: Hector Arzola

The band neared the end of the night out with “Island Girls”, a Caribbean-inspired song splashed with life and reminiscent of a beachfront daytime disco.

After thanking the crowd and complimenting the young band, Mullins directed the band into the final song of the night, “2 Cold,” a pure rock song that was all teeth and riffs.

“I thought the performance was astonishingly good,” Mullins said. “I met all these guys on Sunday, and look how good that was.”

The band waved goodbye and the curtain closed before a voice over the p.a. system announced that “the Cabana Boys have left the building.”

View Comments (3)

Comments are Closed.
  • J

Jorge MarioJul 22, 2019 at 10:18 pm

Awesome Band, Let Rock

• N

nitesh patelMar 7, 2019 at 11:51 am

Hail cabana boys!

• W

Wade WilsonNov 11, 2018 at 2:14 am

Awesome band … I love this