Serving the Fullerton Community Since 1922

The Hornet

The Hornet

Serving the Fullerton Community Since 1922

The Hornet

The labors of being a mother

Life is unpredictable. You either let life happen around you or you take charge and lead your own path.

Motherhood came earlier than expected in 2013. It was the last week of spring finals and I was ready to get my finals done and over with.

I had one more semester left before I graduated with my bachelor’s degree. I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Silhouette women beach sunset
Silhouette of women during sunset Photo credit: Pexels

On the Monday of finals week, I had a doctor’s appointment where my boyfriend and I heard the incredible news that I was pregnant. The news came as a surprise to both of us since it was not planned.

After a few hours of talking about it, my motherhood instinct quickly took over as I began to plan for the future.

My next appointment was with a midwife where she told me I was already five months pregnant and due in October.

After much thought, I made the decision to take my last semester off, which was supposed to be Fall 2013, and instead finish in Spring 2014.

I took advantage of the leave and worked full-time, all the while taking birth and parenting classes along with piano lessons.

On September 19, 2013, I went to a prenatal appointment where my midwife asked routine questions and took my vitals. Before leaving, my blood pressure was checked again and my numbers were high. My urine had also been found to have protein.

These were signs of pre-eclampsia, a rare potentially dangerous pregnancy complication. I was sent to labor and delivery to be checked further.

There, the signs of pre-eclampsia continued and I was set to be induced later that night.

pregnant mother at beach
Pregnant silhouette during beach sunset Photo credit: Pexels

After being induced, it took 12 hours until I finally met my baby. My son was born healthy on September 20, 2013.

I, on the other hand, was not doing any better. My blood pressure continued to escalate even after being released from the hospital a week later. Eventually, it went back to normal.

My last semester was set to begin when my son was 4 months old. I had already returned to work but now had to learn how to be a working mother and student too.

My boyfriend and I managed to set a routine that helped us both manage our parenting duties along with work and school.

We also had the support of our families who would care for the baby when we needed a break.

Since becoming a mother, I continue to learn new things about myself every day.

I am still the same person, but am now more driven to pursue a career I am passionate about. I want to show my son anything is possible even with a few bumps in the road.

I have learned to manage my time more wisely and also take time for self-care apart from my responsibilities.

I graduated with a bachelor’s in Spring 2014 with a double major in communications and sociology and an 8-month-old by my side.

It was difficult being a parent to a newborn while juggling school and work to say the least, from sleepless nights to figuring out how to balance the different aspects of life and parenting.

I continue to learn and grow as a parent because learning never stops, especially with a child who is discovering the world every day too.