UMOJA set to present “The Great Debaters”

The UMOJA Center will present “The Great Debaters” event on Tuesday, Oct. 24, from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in room 513.

The event is a place where students will be able to discuss different viewpoints they are passionate about and how to get their points across productively according to outreach coordinator of the UMOJA Center, Micaiah Satterwhite.

Satterwhite said the argumentation between the UMOJA students is not about serious matters, but simply an entertaining and engaging event where students can debate for fun.

Debate topics such as Tupac versus Biggie, Kobe versus Lebron, Lauryn Hill versus Erykah Badu and many more will be covered during the event.

The tournament will consist of two teams and a judge panel.

A set of two topics will be named and groups will get to chose what side they want to debate on.

Topics on the debate were student chosen and the way the debate will go is by stating facts as to why their subject is better than the opposing group’s.

Each team will be given a chance to make an argument in defense of their subject and then judges will decide which group had the best argument.

The lucky winner will walk away with a special prize.

“It’s a chance to discuss different viewpoints,” said Satterwhite. “But in a constructive way.”

Anyone who is interested in attending The Great Debaters event can do so as well as participate in the debate if they think they have what it takes.