Fullerton’s 30th Annual Veteran’s Day Parade and Celebration at the quad.

Hundreds gathered to the quad to celebrate Fullerton’s 30th annual Veteran’s Day parade and celebration.

Typically, the parade and celebration is held in Hillcrest Park, however as the park is currently under construction, it was changed to be hosted at FC’s quad.

Community Vets
Local veterans led the march towards Fullerton College at the Veteran’s Day Parade and Celebration on Saturday, November 11, 2017. Photo credit: Ayrton Lauw

Along with hundreds of community members and veterans, local politicians such as Young Kim, former Assemblymember for the 65th District, and State Assemblyperson Sharon Quirk-Silva, the current Assemblymember, also came to the celebration.

Sharon Quirk-Silva, Young Kim, Jesus Silva
Local politicians such as Sharon Quirk-Silva, Jesus Silva, and Young Kim marched with the veterans at the Veteran’s Day Parade and Celebration on Saturday, November 11, 2017. Photo credit: Ayrton Lauw

“It’s a beautiful ceremony… this new site has just as many advantages and President Schulz was real excited to bring the community onto campus…we’re an education community,” said Quirk-Silva.

The parade started the march in the Fullerton Downtown Plaza, headed north towards Chapman Avenue and finally ended in the quad as the whole parade and community marched onto campus.

ParadeRoute3.png
The annual Veterans Day Parade will end its route on Fullerton College Campus on Saturday, Nov. 11. Photo credit: Courtesy of the City of Fullerton

As the ceremony on campus began, President Greg Schulz also gave an opening statement to say how honored he felt for Fullerton College to have the event on campus this year.

“At Fullerton College we’re honored to be hosting the ceremony [and] we were thrilled to do it… at FC we have approximately 1,200 veteran students or have family who have veterans,” Schulz said.

President Schulz and Jesus Silva
President Schulz and Councilmember Jesus Silva shake hands after the Veteran’s Day Parade and Celebration on Saturday, November 11, 2017. Photo credit: Ayrton Lauw

After the closing prayer, led by Miles Kaspar Junior, came the presentation for the city’s Outstanding Unit Award. With five high school JROTCs in attendance, Troy High School’s Naval JROTC was presented the award.

Troy HS Naval JROTC
Troy High School’s Naval JROTC marches towards the quad during the Veteran’s Day Parade and Celebration on Saturday, November 11, 2017. Photo credit: Ayrton Lauw

Although there are no official announcements as to where next year’s celebration will be held, President Schulz was hoping the event will be held again on campus.

“It would be very special for us if we could partner again with the city next year,” Schulz said.

For more information about Fullerton City community events, go to the city’s website.