FC Health Center to host Substance Abuse Fair and Great American Smoke Out

The Fullerton College Quad will hold a Substance Abuse Fair on Nov. 16 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. This event, hosted by the FC Health Center, invites health organizations on campus to help enlighten students with information regarding both substance abuse and tobacco.

Substance Abuse Fair
The FC Health Center will be hosting a Substance Abuse Fair that will incorporate the Great American Smoke Out on Nov. 16 at the Fullerton College Quad from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Photo credit: Fullerton College Health Center

On the third Thursday of November, a national movement known as the Great American Smoke Out takes place every year to challenge smokers to quit. For the past 41 years, this event has helped smokers get support and access to resources to quit smoking once and for all.

This event will combine with the Great American Smoke Out which will focus on harmful products that are consumed and abused. These include marijuana, opioids, alcohol and more.

Organizations in attendance will include The Villa Center, Alcohol Anonymous, The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence and Ocapica.

“A lot of our health fairs are really geared towards what community organizations could also help our students with if they need that type of help,” said Kelly Salazar, Health Coordinator for Fullerton College.

The Health Center will host a quit cold turkey challenge. If the student makes a pledge to quit something that is unhealthy for them, they will receive either a cold turkey sandwich or a veggie sandwich.

The pledges will then be hung up on the Health Center booth during the duration of the event.

During the same time of the quad event, there will be a Lunch and Learn in Room 229 which will focus on prescription drug abuse from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. This session is also sponsored by the Health Center and lunch will be supplied to all those in attendance while supplies last.

A representative from the Orange County Health Care agency will also talk about prescription drug use and its effect in the O.C. area.