Honor Earth Day with a Food Justice Symposium

In honor of Earth Day, the Geography Department will host a food justice symposium on Tuesday, Apr. 17 at the Fullerton College Campus Theater from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

This event is designed to help shed some light on the ongoing food scarcity issues happening around the world and affecting all populations, with the needy and poor more severely impacted.

This Earth Day celebration will have Dr. Pascale Joassart-Marcelli, Professor of Geography and the Director of the Urban Studies Program at San Diego State University, as the lead keynote speaker.

Joassart-Marcelli is an established author of roughly 50 articles and book chapters. As lead editor of “Food and Place: A Critical Exploration”, she will be discussing her journey and work in a 50-minute lecture.

In addition to Dr. Pascale Joassart-Marcelli’s lecture, the FC faculty interdisciplinary panel will present 15-minute presentations of their work and areas of expertise.

Rita Higgins, MPH, RDN, Nutrition & Foods Professor; Andrew Shensky, Geography Professor & GIS Specialist; Valerie Loew, Horticulture Professor & Consultant; Moises Plascencia, Anthropology Professor & Urban Agriculture Consultant; and Jonathan Duffy Davis, Tule Peak Farm Owner are the FC faculty members who will present during the symposium.

Students will have the opportunity to ask questions directly to the keynote speaker and Fullerton College faculty.

Earth Day.PNG
Food justice symposium scheduled events. Photo credit: Geography Department

The symposium will begin with the film screening of “Just Eat It: A Food Waste Story”, followed up by the keynote lecture, the FC interdisciplinary panel and will end with a workshop.

Geography professor Aline Gregorio will serve as the event organizer and is hoping this event will provide a learning experience for all who you attend.

“Sound-decisions can only come from education, and the symposium is meant to capitalize on the opportunity to educate a wide audience,” Gregorio stated.

For more information on the Earth Day Symposium, contact Aline Gregorio at [email protected]