Día de los Muertos goes 25 años strong at FC

The campus quad was filled with a variety of colors, music, and food at the Día de los Muertos event at the quad Thursday, Oct. 25.

This year marked the 25th anniversary of the Día de los Muertos being celebrated at Fullerton College. Día de los Muertos or otherwise known as “The Day of The Dead” to other cultures, was adopted by Fullerton College in 1994 by Gerald “Jerry” Padilla. Alongside school professors Chris Lamm and Adela Lopez. Padilla has helped to run the event even after his retirement last spring.

Ofrendas, which are alters topped with a collection of significant objects, were placed all over the quad. This year’s event had about double the Ofrendas in the quad than last year. Bringing the total Ofrendas from 25 to 50. They were made by students who wanted to honor loved ones, role models, and celebrities who inspired them.

Pinatas.
Sugar skull piñatas at the Día de los Muertos celebration. Photo credit: Alejandra Malagon

“I think the Ofrendas looked great,” said student Izamar Gaytan. “I love how they covered them with flowers and candles. The skulls look pretty cool.”

Candles and marigold flowers are used to help guide loved ones on their spiritual journey after they pass. To celebrate everyone takes gifts and food that were once previously enjoyed by those loved ones to the Ofrendas.

Ofrenda
Students from Ethnic Studies created Ofrendas with tributes to notable figures like Cesar Chavez. Photo credit: Anthony Robles

It is also a tradition for attendees to paint their faces like a sugar skull. The Fullerton College Cosmotology students helped paint faces during the event.

“I’m really excited about this,” said student Roksana Hoque,” This is my first time having my face painted like this and I love how the atmosphere and mood is here.”

Dancer.
A dancer performs wearing a traditional headdress for the Día de los Muertos celebration. Photo credit: Alejandra Malagon

The event was also filled with dance performances from local groups “Danza Toyocan” from La Puente and “Baile Florklorico” from local dancers.

Omero Sanchez is one of the dancers from Danza Toyocan. He expressed how much he enjoys dancing for the event.

Dancers.
Local dance groups performed traditional dances for an audience in front of the Fullerton College Library. Photo credit: Ayanna Banks

“I’ve been doing this for a while now and I love it. It’s a great way to celebrate our heritage from our Aztec ancestors,” said Sanchez.

“Dia de Los Muertos has been a fabulous event, ” said President Greg Schulz. “It’s all just wonderful. All the displays, the student participation. It’s just amazing. It’s even more amazing that we have been able to not just bring students and their families to the event, but the entire community as well.”

make up.
Fullerton College Cosmetology students face paint “Sugar Skulls” onto participating attendees. Photo credit: Alejandra Malagon

“Let’s hope to have this going for another 25 years!” said Shulz.