FC men’s basketball season is underway

Basketball season is in full force as the hornets swarm the court looking for redemption as they open the season tonight at home against El Camino College at 5 p.m.

The Hornets are coming off a 21-7 season and a trip to the first round Regional Playoffs. However, the Hornets lost in the first round to Allen Hancock and were they were stopped short of their playoff and championship hopes.

I was here last year and we lost in the first round and I don’t want that to happen again. This team we have a lot of new guys, we have a couple returners, and lot of good pieces that we really didn’t have last year. We’ve been getting in the weight room getting bigger and faster; practicing everyday working hard,” said sophomore guard Rodrick McCobb.

With a new team and four returners, Fullerton is on the road for a breakout season.

Hornets Basketball Team
The Fullerton College 2018-2019 Basketball Team. Photo credit: Ayrton Lauw

“This year we have people that can play multiple positions, very good depth, everyone is hungry this year. We have big expectations. I believe we can go deep in the playoffs, get a championship, and get revenge on Orange Coast,” said sophomore forward Vaj Rice.

As the season gets underway and with the loss of eight players, the Hornets have added five key additions to their roster.

“I think it’s a hard playing group, it’s a group that likes each other and plays unselfishly. We are talented and I think we can make more shoots than we did last year. We are excited about being together and being able to start playing games,” said Hornets head coach Perry Webster.

According to Webster, sophomore guard Jailen Moore comes from Copper Mountain where he was all-conference player there last year and has the ability to make lot of shots for the Hornets this season.

In addition to Moore, Ezekiel Alley, sophomore guard who transferred from Arizona Western, will be the starting point guard for the Hornets and Omajae Smith, sophomore guard from Humboldt State is expected to have a big year.

Rising star Lance Coleman ll, comes from Irvine Valley College where he was a first team all-conference player as a freshman, is looking to help give the Hornets a boost this season in hopes to achieve a championship.

“This year I’m just out here to show people all the hard work I been putting in, the team comes first before anything, I’m just here to help everyone else win as a team,” added Coleman ll.

The Four
Hornet sophomores Rodrick McCobb, Vaj Rice Lance Coleman II and Ronne Readus are looking for redemption as the new season of basketball returns. Photo credit: Ayrton Lauw

With the season full of new faces and bright stars, the Hornets have a new found determination for the upcoming season.

Following the season opener the Hornets will be hosting the first annual Walt Simons Basketball Classic Tournament. The tournament will begin on Thursday, Oct. 8 through Saturday, Oct. 8.

“We are excited for the tournament, we are dedicating this years tournament to Walt Simon, who is a former player here. Had a great career here and has a lasting impact on Fullerton College basketball and the whole Orange County basketball community,” Webster continued.

This tournament will showcase the top six teams that have had enormous talent on their teams among players in the state.

“Its going to be a tough tournament we know who we are playing. First night we play San Diego Mesa, the next night is Citrus and the third night is San Diego City.

San Diego City has been in the last two state championship games, Citrus is always one of the top teams in the south.

“Both teams play really hard, high pressure, and will be coming in our gym looking to beat us. But it’s a good early test for us to see how we respond to quality teams we hopefully be seeing in the playoffs,” added Webster.

View Comments (1)

Comments are Closed.
  • A

Aleveon HarrisJan 30, 2019 at 11:00 pm

I’m am interested in coming to Fullerton college. It looks like a great school I think it would be a good fit for me.