Thanksgiving Food Drive to aid the Fullerton community

For many of us Thanksgiving dinner is a beloved tradition that we cherish and carry with us throughout the year. The drama and love we share with our family and friends, the feast of delicious food, they all add up to the reasons we have to be thankful. However there are many students at Fullerton College who are unable to afford a Thanksgiving meal.

Started by the M.E.CH.A Club 49 years ago, the Fullerton College Thanksgiving Food Drive helps those students who are unable to enjoy the tradition of Thanksgiving. From November 1st-22nd, the department will be accepting non-perishable food, canned or packaged goods, and grocery gift cards.

Donations
The Food Drive accepts donations of non-perishable foods. Photo credit: Lisa McPheron

“Our goal is to continue that tradition of providing a Thanksgiving meal for students on campus,” said Amber Gonzalez, head of the Ethnic Studies Department. “Our role is always to support the students.”

Donations should be dropped off at Room 1415 in the Social Science Division Office. And all donations are tax deductible, the tax identification number will be available on the flyers posted near the drop-off boxes.

“With this drive, we hope that we can bring awareness to pervasive issues that impact our community members such as hunger and student homelessness,” said Meg O’Rourke, M.E.CH.A advisor. “We also hope that in addition to being thankful for our own privileges that we use our power and privilege to come together to support our community members in need.”

The drive aids many families in the Fullerton community, the past year’s event having received over 100 boxes of food.

O’Rourke asks those who cannot donate to spread the word, ask their friends and family to donate what they can. Students can also help the cause by asking their professors to make an announcement regarding the drive during class.

For more information call the Social Science Division Office at (714) 992-7047, or email Meg O’Rourke and Amber Gonzalez.