Beat Cafe Open Mic Night lands in Fullerton for its 11th straight year

Fullerton College is hosting the 11th Annual Beat Cafe night on Thursday, Feb. 21, in room 214. The Cadena Cultural Center and UMOJA want you to come celebrate Black History Month through singing, poetry and music.

Everyone is welcome to attend and sign ups are available at the door to anyone wishing to participate in the open mic event. The open mic event goes from 4-7 pm. Performers may go up as many times as they wish. Coffee, tea and cookies will be available to the audience and participants while they last.

Vincent White has coordinated this event for many years. “Working in Collaboration with UMOJA has been exciting and has been a great opportunity for Beat Cafe to celebrate and honor Black History Month.”

The UMOJA Center, is a program that focuses on helping African American students here at Fullerton College succeeded.

beat cafe open mic night
The 11th annual beat cafe will held Thursday February 21st in room 214. Photo credit: Sarah Castro

“UMOJA is the Swahili word for “unity”. Students can have an opportunity to connect with people they don’t normally get an opportunity to.. It creates a platform for students to connect through art,” said Brandi Avila.

The beat cafe will have a UMOJA table at the event to have show it as it is, a collaborative event in honor of Black History Month to promote community and bonding. Students are encouraged to use different forms of poetry, songs and instruments.

Participants have used a range of instruments, from ukuleles to pianos to vocals.

Even if you are not willing to perform the energy is full of creativity and has a welcoming atmosphere. It is Truly a unique and different experience each time the event takes place. Allowing students to express themselves in a setting that’s not given on an everyday basis and also allow students to enjoy themselves and find inspiration and connections.

“Beat Cafe is really an open mic night where students make it and is something different every year” coordinator, Vincent White.