Hornets softball dominates Rustlers in a no-hitter performance

Fullerton College prevailed over Golden West College 12-0 by way of the mercy rule in five innings played Monday afternoon.

Due to poor field conditions at Golden West, the game was played at Fullerton. Golden West, however, was still considered the home team despite the location change.

It didn’t take long for the Hornets to show their dominance in this game through their offense.

The Hornets scored immediately in the top of the first inning, as sophomore designated player/pitcher Lulu Vasquez got things going with a single to score sophomore catcher Veronica Garza. Hornet sophomore Anabel Mendez followed up the scoring by singling up the middle later in the inning to tack on two more runs.

Mendez
Sophomore Anabel Mendez hit 2 for 2 and had 2 RBIs against Golden West on Monday, Mar. 18.. Photo credit: Bovie Lavong

Leading the way 3-0, Fullerton did not let up in the top of the second inning, as this time Garza doubled to left field to score a run to add to the lead. Vasquez picked up her second hit of the day and collected another RBI off of a double to left field.

Hornet freshman starting pitcher Jessica Lopez’s ended with two strong innings of work and compiled four strikeouts.

Vasquez took over in the bottom of the third and kept the momentum going by only allowing a walk and nothing more.

Fullerton scored one run in the fourth inning to increase their lead to 7-0.

The Hornets overpowered the Rustlers in the fifth inning when they scored five back to back runs. As a result, this ended the game early.

Vasquez hurled three strong innings with three strikeouts. Vasquez added to a very strong 2019 season in both hitting and pitching categories.

Vasquez
Hornet sophomore Lulu Vasquez pitched 3.0 innings with 3 strikeouts and gave up 0 runs against Golden West on Monday, Mar. 18. Photo credit: Bovie Lavong

In this blowout win for the Hornets, their offense strung together 16 hits and 6 walks. The pitching dominated as well with a combined five innings pitched, 7 Strikeouts, 2 walks and allowing 0 hits.

The game did not go the full seven innings due to Fullerton’s extensive lead which led to the mercy rule being enforced.

This conference victory brings the Hornets record to 16-4 overall and 6-3 in OEC. The Hornets will look to continue a strong season this Wednesday with another conference matchup at Santa Ana College.

Next Game: Fullerton (16-4, 6-3) will play at Santa Ana College when they take on the Dons Wednesday, March 20 at 3:00 p.m.