Hornets softball soar over the Santiago Hawks

Sophomore outfielder Kaylee Williamson helped lead the Hornets to victory against the Santiago Canyon College Hawks on Monday with 2 RBIs. The Hornets went on to win the game 2-1.

“Honestly I feel like I played one of the best games I’ve ever had since I’m the one that gave two RBIs to win this game. Best game yet,” Williamson said.

Williamson
Hornet outfielder Kaylee Williamson scored the only two runs for the Hornets with her 2 RBIs in the victory against Santiago Canyon on Monday, Mar. 25. Photo credit: Bovie Lavong

Going into Monday’s game, Fullerton had a 7 game winning streak as they were (21-4, 7-3), while the Santiago Hawks were (16-8, 6-4). Although the Hornets entered the game with the better record, the Hawks previously beat the Hornets earlier this season 2-0.

The Hornets started the game with an early deficit after giving up a run in the opening inning and struggled until the bottom of the third inning.

Williamson had her first RBI of the game as she brought in Hornet sophomore shortstop Sabrina Anguiano home with a double to tie the game 1-1.

FC sophomore pitcher Lulu Vasquez went up to bat with two outs and 2 baserunners on for the chance to take the lead, but received the third out when her pop fly was caught in the outfield.

During the fourth inning, the game became stagnate as both teams struggled to get their players on base and get any offense moving. The inning started with a walk by Vasquez, but was short lived as she got the last two batters to line out and strike out.

At the top of the fifth inning, Hornet freshman pitcher Jessica Lopez entered the game. Lopez lead the Hornets to a successful top of the fifth inning by striking out both the first and second batters.

Lopez
Hornet freshman pitcher Jessica Lopez earned the victory in her pitching performance against Santiago Canyon posting 3 innings with 4 strikeouts and 0 earned runs on Monday, Mar. 25. Photo credit: Bovie Lavong

“I think I was dominating on my screws today and I got a lot of pop-ups and I knew our defense would have my back,” Lopez said.

To come back from the tough inning where the Hawks were up by one Lopez added, “I told myself to calm down, take a deep breath, sometimes I work myself up but it was just one hit and they didn’t score so I knew no damage was done.”

Williamson helped the Hornets gain another run with her second RBI of the game with a hard single past the left side of the Hawks first baseman scoring Anguiano home once more. As a result, Garza would also move to third.

Overall, both of the Hornets pitchers pitched another great game combining for 6 strikeouts and allowing 1 run on 3 hits. Fullerton now improves to (22-4, 8-3) and add to their impressive 8 game winning streak.

Standout player for the Hawks was pitcher Ashlynn Clifford who pitched for six innings and struck out 5 Hornet players. Clifford made it tough for Fullerton to score and kept the Hawks close until the end.

“I thought they played magnificently, I told them ‘You know what? You were faced with adversity early on but you showed your grit. You’re better than average, don’t play average, you’re an above average team and you showed that today,”Co-head coach Crystal Aguirre said.

“I thought our pitchers did an amazing job. When you play top-ranked teams and us being apart of the Orange Empire Conference it’s the toughest up and down the state, so for them to hold down a great hitting team, a respectable ball club, hats off to them,”Aguirre added.

Speedy
Hornets get their 22nd victory of the season at home against Santiago Canyon on Fullerton head coach Marian "Speedy" Mendoza's 50th birthday Monday, Mar. 25. Photo credit: Bovie Lavong

This victory was also a nice gift for Fullerton head coach Marian “Speedy” Mendoza since it was her 50th birthday.

Fullerton will continue to carry their momentum and travel on the road to play Saddleback in a conference matchup on Wednesday, March 27 at 3:00 pm.