Hornets can’t overcome mistakes against the Dons

Bad defense dooms the Hornets early in a blowout loss.

Fullerton’s sloppy play allowed the Santa Ana Dons to put up 17 runs, 8 of which were unearned in a tough home loss Thursday afternoon.

Sophomore pitcher Connor Tousignant got the start for the Hornets and was looking for redemption after Tuesday’s close loss.

In the top of the first inning, the Dons first two batters reached base safely after back-to-back errors. A bunt from Don’s batter James Williams created a bases-loaded situation.

With the bases loaded, Tousignant struck out the next two batters. However, with two outs, Don hitter Copper Hansen delivered a single that scored 2 runs. After a strikeout from the following batter, the inning ended with the Dons up 2-0.

Becker
Shortstop Tyler Becker went 1 for 4 with an RBI against Santa Ana on Thursday, Mar. 28. Photo credit: Bovie Lavong

Down 2 runs, the Hornets tied the game after a single by sophomore PJ Gordon and a big home run from freshman Tony Accordino. Fullerton failed to capitalize with runners on the corners to take the lead and this ended the first t inning with the score tied at 2.

The second inning came and went with both teams failing to put up any runs.

With the game tied, the Hornets stung themselves in a big way by committing three throwing errors that led to a total of 8 runs, 5 of which were unearned and this gave the Dons a 10-2 lead.

Tousignant was lifted after 2.2 innings pitch and freshman Alfredo Castaneda came in relief for Fullerton.

In the forth inning, the Dons capitalized on another Hornet mistake when a wild pitch led to a run that increased Santa Ana’s lead to 11-2.

Fullerton responded by capitalizing on a fielding error that led to a run for the Hornets to cut the lead to 8 runs.

Down by 8 runs in the sixth inning, the Hornets would not go down without a fight. With runners on second and third base, Gordon came through again with a single that scored a run.

Later in the inning, Fullerton had 2 runners on for Accordino. He came in clutch with a big 3-run blast to cut the Dons lead to 4 runs giving the Hornets a lifeline.

Accordino
Hornet freshman first baseman Tony Accordino had 2 home runs and 5 RBIs against Santa Ana on Thursday, Mar. 28. Photo credit: Bovie Lavong

The Dons immediately responded in the top of the seventh inning and after stringing together a couple of walks and a hit, to score 3 runs and increase their lead back to 7 runs.

Fullerton added 4 more runs over the next three innings, but the Dons added three more of their own to seal the victory and shut down the Hornets chances at a comeback.

Next Game: Fullerton (7-18, 2-9) will play at Santa Ana (18-8, 8-3) Saturday, March 30. Game time is 12:00 p.m.