Wayzgoose reception etches inspiration for Fullerton College students

The first art exhibition of the fall semester Wayzgoose, is going on in the Fullerton College Art Gallery until Oct.7 in the room 1004.

The art featured in the exhibition are prints from former artists from FC’s Artists in Residence program and prints from the art department’s personal collection which were either purchased or donated.

The faculty of the art department promote an artist to be part of the residency program. The artist is contacted to come and spend a week and is scheduled to hold a lecture, and a solo exhibition.

Etching
Etching tools and etching plate used for print making showing the steps behind the print making process. Photo credit: Anthony Carrera

“The residency program was started in 1972 by Wayne Thiebaud and once the residency is complete the artist leaves a piece to add to our collection,” said Gallery Director Carol Henke.

The reception also had free food for attendees which included hummus, baba ganoush, and cauliflower casserole dish. The FC art department provided the food from the admission fee from the student art show from the spring semester.

One of the featured artists, Abel Alejandre, who had his residency at FC in 2017 showcasing his print “Saint Sebastian” that was originally printed on a 34”x27” woodblock.

Saint Sebastian
Artist Abel Alejandre returns to Fullerton College to discuss his art piece. Photo credit: Anthony Carrera

“I spend weeks and months on my woodblocks and for me to work this fast it was a challenge. Artist should really push themselves and use mistakes as a way to learn. Now I do four feet by eight feet woodblock prints which takes me six months to carve,” said print artist Abel Alejandre.

Alejandre’s “Saint Sebastian” print is available for sale priced at $250 along with four other prints with the most recent print produced by Thomas Campbell, “Unar Sicinci” priced at $1000.

The art exhibitions held in the art gallery are also for current art students to draw inspiration for their art projects. The exhibitions showing different types of mediums that can be used and give the students ideas to think outside the box.

“This is amazing when I first think of printmaking I only think about making t-shirt designs but I would never have thought it would go beyond that especially using recycled paper. This really got me inspired to try different mediums such as fabric,” said theater arts major Pingkan Putri.

Schulz at Wayzgoose
Art Professor Todd Smith explains art piece to President Schulz. Photo credit: Anthony Carrera

“The art gallery reminds me of how fortunate we are to have an art gallery on campus for our students, faculty and we can share it with the members of our community,” said Fullerton College President Greg Schulz.

Wayzgoose art exhibition is available for free for FC students and open to the public. Art Gallery hours are Mon-Thu 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 2-4 p.m. The gallery will also have select evening hours on Sept. 11, 17 and 23 from 6-8 p.m.