Serving the Fullerton Community Since 1922

The Hornet

The Hornet

Serving the Fullerton Community Since 1922

The Hornet

Hornets fall short in double overtime

Fullerton College lost in double overtime to Southwestern, 33-30, at Yorba Linda High school Saturday night.

The Hornets entered Saturdays contest 2-1 looking to improve to 3-1 after a dominant performance in the Key to the County game.

Fullerton's defense battled until the end, but fall short to the Southwestern Jaguars Saturday, Sept. 28. Photo credit: Adam Aranda

Fullerton came out looking to pick up where they left off in week three and jumped out to a quick lead in their second possession of the game. Freshman RB Brandon Rankins sprinted a 42-yard touchdown run giving the Hornets a 7-0 lead.

The Hornets defense swarmed the Jaguars forcing them to punt on their second possession of the game and putting the ball back in the offense’s hands.

On the third drive of the game, Hornets QB Cooper Callis connected with Kashan Griffin for a 58-yard catch and run gain placing the ball on the Jaguars 18-yard line. Unable to muster anything else, the Hornets settled for a field goal by freshman kicker Alex Fonseca to give the Hornets a 10-0 advantage.

With the deficit starting to grow the Jaguars QB Joshua Owen orchestrated an 11 play, 74-yard drive to score a touchdown and cut into the Hornet lead 10-7.

Scrambling to regain momentum, the Hornets offense took over, but a dropped pass a couple missed throws resulted in two consecutive scoreless drives.

Southwestern’s offense offered a relentless attack, staying balanced between runs and passes. Owens lead the Jaguars back down the field for another touchdown to take the lead 14-7 going into halftime.

RB Lucky Avinger takes a handoff as he looks to carve up the Southwestern defense Saturday, Sept. 28. Photo credit: Adam Aranda

The Jaguars received the ball to begin the second half and wasted no time marching down the field. Jaguars running back Keylan Chapman, put the drive on his shoulders as he drove 80 yards that resulted in a field goal to increase their lead 17-10.

Both teams turned up the intensity in the third, but the Hornets inability to haul in throws stalled any progress the offense was making. The third quarter came and went with Southwestern still up by seven.

Struggling to find a rhythm, Southwestern took advantage executing on the run and the pass. Owen and Chapman combined for an 82-yard drive that lead to a touchdown giving the Jaguars a 24-10 lead, with 6:18 remaining to play.

Down two scores and their back against the wall, the Hornets fate looked all but sealed.

The Hornets took the ball at their own 22-yard line and with 6:10 on the clock Fullerton began to drive. Hornets QB Quinn Commans pieced together an 11 play, 78-yard drive to score a touchdown slicing the Jaguars lead to 24-17 with 3:06 left to play.

With no hesitation Fullerton needed to get the ball back for any type of comeback attempt. The ball was kicked high in the air and as it came down a pile on player toppled over each other. The Hornets successfully recovered the onside kick at the southwestern 48-yard line.

With Commans still hot, the Hornets targeted the corners and began to drive downfield. The Hornets ran into a fourth down with two yards to go, the Jaguars stacked the box attempting to prevent any way for a first down.

Commans handed off to running back Lucky Avinger to the left side, but a missed tackle and determination guided him as he powered his way to the end zone for a touchdown. With 1:32 left to play the Hornets tied the game 24-24.

The Jaguars failed to add any additional points as the game entered overtime.

“I think they’re invested, I think they’re emotionally and physically invested,” said Hornets head coach Garrett Campbell. “When you’re invested you don’t quit, you don’t surrender you don’t ever stop.”

FC coaches prepare the defense for overtime against the Jaguars Saturday, Sept. 28. Photo credit: Adam Aranda

Fullerton won the coin toss and differed to Southwestern giving them the ball. The Hornet defense held its ground limiting Jaguars to just a field goal. Fullerton took over the next possession and could not muster up much offense but kicked a field goal to tie the game, 27-27.

This lead both teams into a second overtime. This time Fullerton received the ball first and were limited to a field goal by the suffocating Jags defense, but giving the Hornets a 27-30 advantage.

It took three plays and an impressive throw and an even more impressive catch to seal the victory for southwestern, leaving the Hornets dazed and hurt from this loss. The final score of the game was 33-30.

“I have to knock the champion out and that’s what we had to do tonight,” said Jaguars head coach Edward Carberry.

Next Up: The Hornets 2-2 will head north up to play Ventura College Saturday, Oct. 5. Kickoff is at 6:00 p.m.