President’s Gala 2019 raises over $30,000

When the afternoon sun slowly set Saturday night, the campus quad came alive with jazz and classical music.

The third annual Fullerton College President’s Gala raised approximately $30,000 most of which will go towards scholarships for FC students.

Among the people who attended the event was FC President Greg Schulz, Associated Students and many important figures from the Fullerton College community.

This President’s Gala was dedicated to five honorees: Bob Jensen, Jim Moore, Silvia Mendez, Rufina Perez Gutierrez and Paul Dunlap.

IMG_9529.JPG
Silvia Mendez honored for her fight against school segregations in the Mendez v. Westminster case. Photo credit: Tin Huynh

“We are so fortunate to honor these five individuals and thank them for the positive impact they have made throughout their careers and/or service to our country,” said Chuck Allen, executive director for the Fullerton College Foundation.

These honorees were awarded medals along with crystal trophies to be recognized for their overall contributions to the community.

The silent auction was the main event of the night. Some of the various items that were auctioned off were stuffed animals, a wine pull, jewelry, restaurant gift cards, champagne, a museum tour and much more.

During the silent auctions drinks were served at the bar section. Wine, champagne and various mixed drinks were offered.

Lastly was the live auction. Before the live auction begun, the FC choir performed an outstanding opera that set the tone for the rest of the night.

During the live auction, one of the big ticket items was an experience package that included Southwest Airline tickets to any destination and a Caribbean cruise all expenses covered.

Schulz delivered a speech that paralleled the foundation’s mission; to help provide students the means to further their education.

“We are constantly inspired by our students, their abilities to persevere and create a future for themselves and for their family,” said Schulz, speaking on behalf of the FC Foundation.

IMG_9292.JPG
FC Associated Students at the President's Gala. Photo credit: Tin Huynh

The money raised at the President’s Gala will benefit many students and encourage them to continue their education.