New Promise Center opens at Fullerton College

The new Fullerton College Promise Center held a ribbon cutting ceremony on Oct. 29 to celebrate its opening. Faculty, staff, Fullerton Mayor Jesus Silva, North Orange County Community College District Chancellor Cheryl Marshall and many more that contributed to the Promise program attended the event.

The Center will provide one-on-one support through program counselors, coaches and peer mentors. The center will also hold seminars and social events to help support students throughout their first year of college.

158B4126-1.jpg
NOCCCD Chancellor Cheryl Marshall, had the privilege of cutting the ribbon at The Promise Center’s opening on Tuesday, Oct. 29. Photo credit: Ciera Chavez

The office has a spacious conference room with a large table in the middle for students to congregate. Currently there are five counselors on staff that are available to serve students.

The Promise Program started with the passing of Assembly Bill 19, which provided funding to California’s community colleges to cover tuition for first time college students that graduate from high school.

“So with this agreement any first time college students who enrolled full time, 12 or more units, who is financial aid processed, is eligible for a full year tuition. In fact, our current district is exploring the possibility of expanding to a two years program,” said Greg Schulz FC President.

The Pledge Program was established in the fall of 2018 as a pilot Promise Program. The Anaheim Union High School District program provides free tuition to first year students who qualified.

“If you apply for financial aid, there’s often requirements, some students get left behind because they are overqualified. Pledge really takes anyone and everyone with open arms, as long as they register full time,” said Sophia Dickenson a pilot Promise program student. “It’s truly such a blessing.”

Starting spring 2020, first-time college students coming out of high school can apply for free tuition for their first year at a community college within the North Orange County Community College District.

More information on how to apply and requirements can be found on the Promise Website.