Hornets draw in last home game

The Hornets tied 0-0 in their last home game of the regular season against the Cypress Chargers Tuesday.

The Hornets treated this game as they would any other, but this game held more meaning as the rival teams met once before and tied.

The Chargers sealed the 2019 Orange Empire Conference Championship after beating Golden West last week, while Fullerton remains standing in fourth place.

Cypress pressed hard early in the game forcing Fullerton to play on their heels for most of the game.

With the pressure on Fullerton early, the Hornets responded pressing upfield to create opportunities for their offense.

Soccer-1.jpg
Audrey Ochoa drives upfield hoping to gain an advantage. Photo credit: Adam Aranda

The first half moved quickly as both teams failed to score.

The second half mirrored the first, as both teams could not capitalize on opportunities near the goal.

Late in the game, both teams became aggressive, with pushing, shoving and knees being thrown.

Amidst the outrage, both teams played hard. Cypress fought to remain unbeaten and the Hornets would not lose their last game.

The Hornets had a chance to win the game on a corner kick with 18 seconds left in the game but failed to prevail.

“I think we played with a lot of heart and courage today,” said head coach Pam Lewin.

The game ended in a hard-fought tie to the Conference Champions. The Hornets smiled as time expired knowing they gave it their all.

Hornets goalkeeper Monica Balos played outstanding all game and finished the day with three saves.

This was the last home game for 14 sophomores, as they begin to wrap up their 2019 season.

E9546337-8CC8-4FE2-A2BD-CF2A206A7302.jpeg
Fourteen sophomores were honored before the game. The lady Hornets gathered for their last photo together on Tuesday, Nov. 12. Photo credit: Adam Aranda

“Honestly, it feels amazing representing Fullerton these last two years,” said Hornets sophomore Daniela Perez.

Coach Lewin expressed that she owes a lot of success to the sophomore players as she feels they have changed the culture of the program. She remains proud that her team was competitive in every game, aimed to score the most goals possible and continue to work to get better every day.

Fullerton remains the only team that Cypress could not beat in the 2019 season.

Next up: The last game of the regular season for the Hornets will be at Golden West on Friday, Nov. 15 at 3 p.m.