Continuing the traditions of celebrating Black History

The origins of Black History Month, according to the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH), dates back to 1915 when Carter G. Woodson met with A. L. Jackson and three others at the Wabash YMCA and formed the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History. The organization later changed its name to the ASALH.

Under the ASALH, in 1925, Woodson sent out a press release announcing the start of Negro History Week that was scheduled for February 1926. The month of February was chosen by Woodson for the traditions that were in place. Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass both have birthdays in this month that were already being celebrated by members of the black community.

Polish_20200201_172605355.jpg
The United States has a rich history in which many men and women from the African American community made a contribution that is recognized during this month.

In 1976, after fifty years of celebration, the association used its influence to shift from just having one week of celebration to using the entire month of February to celebrate Black History.

Woodson believed that history is made by people and not just great men in history. With the ASALH and the creating of Negro Week, it was his intention to focus the celebration on the countless black men and women who helped to create advancements in our country today.

Polish_20200201_174940425.jpg
This month is dedicated to the many black men and women who contributed to the history of the United States.

There are several events happening here on campus that can be attended to learn more about Black History during this month.

On Tuesday, Feb. 11 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. there will be Community Day in the quad. This event welcomes new students and is a great way to start off the celebration of Black History Month and foster a sense of community here on campus.

Towards the end of the month on February 27th from 1 to 3 p.m., the Cadena Center will be hosting the 11th Annual Black Student Forum. No current location is listed on the event calendar, please contact the Cadena Center for more information.