Beat Cafe open mic signups are now open

Calling all students with a hidden talent, drive to express themselves or students that would love to watch talented individuals come to attend the spring 2020 Beat Café open mic.

The event is being hosted by the Cadena Cultural Center, the Umoja Program and the Ethnic Studies Department. The Beat Cafe takes place in building 200, room 214 and will be from 4 to 7 p.m. on Feb. 25.

IMG_2686.jpg
This is one of the ways students can sign up for the beat cafe. View this photo and students' phones should take them to the sign-up page. Photo credit: cadena cultural center

To honor Black History Month and highlight black students on campus, this semester’s theme is The New Black Renaissance, which highlights the tradition of artistic voices and talents in the black community.

“There will be some really fun hidden talents,” said Amica McGregor, Umoja Student Program Assistant.

If Fullerton College students are interested in joining and have yet to, there are three different ways. They can sign up in room 214, scan the QR code on the flyer or arrive early and add their name to the list at the event.

The Cadena Center has stated that it is very honored and excited to plan and coordinate this year’s event and are hopeful students will come forward and express themselves. Last semester’s event was a huge success and the theme this year really hit home for a lot of people.

“It’s really important to give people of color the opportunity to have events like this where they are able to express themselves in a unique way,” said Melissa Valdovinos, a faculty member at the Cadena Center.

Cadena is throwing the event, but this is the first time Umoja has partnered with them in hosting a Beat Cafe. Umoja is a program on campus that provides educational support, services, degree completion and transfer rates for African-American and other students enrolled at Fullerton College.

More information on the event can be found here.