Game Development Club gets revived for another round

After being dormant for two years, the Game Development Club is being brought back by student Justin Lancy. He wants to break the stigma that future game creators have to know coding in order to be in the industry.

Previously, the club offered on campus was generated more towards students who were focused on coding and not advertising towards other aspects of the game creation process.

After he worked for years in the gaming industry, Lancy enrolled here at Fullerton after hearing about the previous development club that was offered here on campus. Lancy discarded the original outline of the club and started rebuilding it from scratch to include all parts of game development. Rather than run it like a traditional club, he intends to have it function more like a real gaming studio.

“I think when we get down to it every action, we take in college should be something that should be preparing you for what the next step is,” said Lancy

Member, Christopher A. Bautista presents his pitch the club.
Member, Christopher A. Bautista presents his pitch the club. Photo credit: Ann Lipot

Additionally, he has reached out to various departments on campus hoping to recruit members who can do more than just code. In the flyer Lancy is handing out, it states, “There are countless other roles in game development. If you want to be a part of the creative enterprise but you are sure where you would fit in you can get in touch with us.”

After the pitches are given at the first meeting, the members will be able to pick a project that they want to be a part of. However, it is advised that members do not choose more than one project due to the work involved with the creation of the game.

The intention of the club is to have teams working together on their respective games throughout the semester.

Justin Lancy talks with member Jenna Young about her pitch to the club.
Justin Lancy talks with member Jenna Young about her pitch to the club. Photo credit: Ann Lipot

Lancy is currently funding this club from his pocket, but the end result is to have the club be able to generate their own revenue by placing the games created during the semester out on the market.

As to why he decided to join the club, member Jacob Vidaurri said, “Overall, finding out what it takes to make a game and figuring out what type of people go behind it and not just the normal stuff that you see.”

The club is not just for those interested in creating video games either. Lancy is inviting students who want to create all game types from mobile to tabletop, RPGs to card games.

The club meets every other week and those interested in learning more can contact Justin Lancy at his [email protected]