Hornets fly past Mounties toward State Championship

In the biggest game of their careers as Hornets, freshman quarterback Brandon Nunez and sophomore quarterback Josh Calvin carried their squad to the Southern California Regional Championship after defeating the Mounties 45-41.

Sophomore Tyrell Greene Jr. looks for that opening to split the defense, going right into Mt. Sac territory, gaining yards for the Hornets on Nov. 26, 2022.
Sophomore Tyrell Greene Jr. looks for an opening to split the defense, going right into Mt. Sac territory, gaining yards for the Hornets on Nov. 26, 2022. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

Fullerton came in to the fourth quarter with the lead of 31-32 but Mt. San Antonio had a full quarter to work with. The Mounties made every play count to take their lead to 34-32 after hitting a 35-yard field goal.

Not to be out performed, Calvin converted five first downs on his 13-play drive to score a 16-yard rushing touchdown taking the lead 38-32. His two-point conversion was no good.

Nov. 26, 2022, sophomore Josh Calvin gets hyped up in the endzone after securing a Hornet touchdown. At 2nd and 4th, Josh fakes the handoff to Tyrell Greene Jr. takes it himself, and goes for the wide opening leading straight into the endzone. Giving Fullerton a lead of 38-34 with 3:48 left in the 4th quarter.
Sophomore Josh Calvin gets hyped up in the endzone after securing a Hornet touchdown on Nov. 26, 2022. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

On the very next drive, Mounties freshman quarterback Ike Udengwu III completed a pass to freshman wide receiver Shemar Savage for a touchdown and the lead 41-38

On Fullerton’s last drive of the game, Nunez was able to get the ball to first and goal with under a minute remaining in the game. Nunez rushed for a two-yard touchdown and freshman kicker Jonathan Fobear’s kick was good for a Hornet lead of 45-41.

“It’s all about trusting my guys and them trusting me,” said Nunez when asked how he manages to execute under pressure. “When it comes down to close games like this, it comes down to putting together successful drives.”

Freshman Brandon Nunez calls the ball into play before doing a handoff to sophomore Malik Winston looking for yards to gain to secure another 1st down on Nov. 26, 2022
Freshman Brandon Nunez calls the ball into play before doing a handoff to sophomore Malik Winston looking for yards to gain to secure another 1st down on Nov. 26, 2022 Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

It was a shootout game that came down to the wire, but Hornets’ freshman defensive lineman Erik Hehl stopped the Mounties momentum with a quarterback sack, with 27 seconds remaining and the game on the line. This allowed Fullerton to hold on to their lead and win the game.

The Hornets managed to create some game changing plays in the third quarter. After Calvin wasn’t able to get to the endzone, Fobear hit a 25-yard field goal to tie the game 17-17. On the next ensuing kickoff play, Fullerton forced a fumble and recovered the ball on Mt. San Antonio’s 14-yard line.

Hornets get the crowd going with an immediate turnover against Mt. Sac. Freshman Branson Tita-Nwa brings the ball back into Fullerton possession with a fumble recovery made at a 1st down for the Mounties on Nov. 26, 2022.
The Hornets get the crowd going with an immediate turnover against Mt. Sac. Freshman Branson Tita-Nwa. This brought the ball back into Fullerton's possession with a fumble recovery made at a 1st down for the Mounties on Nov. 26, 2022. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

This allowed Nunez to toss an 11-yard pass to sophomore wide receiver Will Gipson for the touchdown. Fobear’s extra point was good and the Hornets took the lead 17-24.

With the game tied 7-7 at the beginning of the second quarter, Calvin knew what to do to conquer the Mounties. He threw a 54-yard pass to freshman tight end Cameron Woods enroute to a touchdown and the lead 14-17.

Sophomore Amari Williams and freshman Jonathan Fobear celebrate yet another field goal bringing the Hornets up to a 24-17 lead in the 3rd quarter during Saturday night's playoff game on Nov. 26, 2022.
Sophomore Amari Williams and freshman Jonathan Fobear celebrate yet another field goal bringing the Hornets up to a 24-17 lead in the 3rd quarter during Saturday night's playoff game on Nov. 26, 2022. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

“Brandon and Josh split time evenly, and both of them play really well at times,” said head coach Garett Campell. “They did a really good job when it was their turn at moving the ball.”

The Hornets finished with 245 passing yards, 193 rushing yards, 180 return yards, two interceptions, and a time possession 28:34.

After the game, two awards were given to Fullerton Hornets. Sophomore running back Tyrell Greene Jr. was awarded “most valuable player.” Freshman linebacker Jeremiah McNeeley was awarded “player of the game.”

After the game victory, Garret Campbell congratulates sophomore Tyrell Greene Jr. on being awarded game MVP on Nov. 26, 2022, at Saturday night's championship playoff game.
After the game victory, Garrett Campbell congratulates sophomore Tyrell Greene Jr. on being awarded game MVP at Saturday night's championship playoffs, Nov. 26, 2022. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

The Hornets (10-1, 5-0) will head to San Bernardino Valley College to compete for their first Regional State Championship title under head coach Garett Campbell against Riverside City College (11-0, 5-0) on Saturday, Dec. 3 with a to-be-announced time.

About the Contributor
Matthew Gonzalez
Matthew Gonzalez, Staff Photographer
Matthew Gonzalez is a third semester staff photographer for The Hornet. Aside from being a staff reporter, he is also into sports photography. Matthew's passion in sports comes from watching and covering football, soccer, and basketball. During his free time he enjoys working out or listening to music. He is a huge Taylor Swift lover. Matthew plans on transferring to Cal State Northridge next fall to get a bachelors degree in Journalism.  His end goal is to work for a newspaper company.