Spring 2023 Club Rush struck on Valentine’s Day

Fullerton College Club Rush event with students and clubs present on one corner of the quad, next to the cafeteria on Tuesday Feb.14, 2023 Photo credit: Pedro Saravia

Evelyn Salazar, Staff Writer

Club Rush spring 23 took place at Fullerton College on Feb. 14, 2023. Hosted by Student Life and Leadership, A Valentine’s Day theme was evident amongst the various clubs that were present. Students came out and swarmed the quad to see what the clubs had to offer.

Each club present had representatives ready to answer questions from students who seek out these organizations to contribute to their college experience. The clubs create exciting opportunities to get involved, make friends, discover new interests, and develop leadership skills for students.

Member of the Health services at Fullerton College Ashley Mariano explaining a student about their services at the Gold Rush event on Tuesday Feb.12, 2023
Member of the Health services at Fullerton College Ashley Mariano explaining a student about their services at the Club Rush event on Tuesday Feb.12, 2023 Photo credit: Pedro Saravia

Participating clubs included the French Club, Speech and Debate Club, Latina Leadership Network Club, Psychology Club, Science Club, Soccer Club, Christian Club, Bible Study Club, Sociology Club, Horticulture Club, SOBER Club and more.

Students noticed the difference in vibes from last year’s first post-pandemic Club Rush event, “I think this semester looks a lot more alive than last semester. There are more booths this semester too,” said Fullerton College student, Deandra Rhaburn.

Sophmore student Richard Gerard listening to his club mate at the French Club during Fullerton College’s gold rush event on Tuesday Feb. 14, 2023
Sophmore student Richard Gerard listening to his club mate at the French Club during Fullerton College’s Club Rush event on Tuesday Feb. 14, 2023 Photo credit: Pedro Saravia

The Latina Leadership Club had traditional Mexican items like papel picado, which is a colorful decorative paper. Papel picado decorated their table apron and streamers, which made them the most festive looking table there. The Speech and Debate Club got students attentions with interactive games like spin the wheel with the possibility to win prizes for those who signed up.

“Especially in these times right now, it’s good for us to do things that stimulate us socially,” said the French Club secretary, Richard St. Gerard, on why joining a club can have a positive impact on students.

Overall, each table had something indicative of their club theme to make sure people would join or at least knew what the club was about.

The Club Rush set-up made it is easy for all interested students to find exactly what they were looking for. Unsure students were excited to go around booth-by-booth to check out what clubs had to offer.

Latina Leadership Network Club attracting new members at Fullerton College gold rush event on Tuesday Feb.14 ,2023
Latina Leadership Network Club attracting new members at Fullerton College Club Rush event on Tuesday Feb.14 ,2023 Photo credit: Pedro Saravia

Latina Leadership Club President, Admi Hernandez-Ixba, was all smiles when sharing information about the club and its mission, “Personally, I’m very passionate about this community. I would love to see all other Latinas flourish and pursue a lot of different careers, growth in the community, and let the community know that we exist and we are evolving as women.”

Although most students were excited to join and learn about the clubs, Tiffanie Nguyen in particular had an interesting way of talking about the event. “It’s overwhelming, but the environment was really welcoming, so I like that.”

The Club Rush event was a great turnout. There is no doubt the social aspect of Club Rush provided the college campus with something that had been lacking the past couple of years. Students were able to socialize, build new relationships, and participate in their community.