The Wolves come howling to Fullerton College as opening night arrives

The cast of the wolves in a scene that shows a human emotion in a simple picture Photo credit: Juliet Parker

Bryan Chavez, Staff Writer

The Fullerton College Theater and Arts Department presents The Wolves, the spring’s production, that takes the audience back to their adolescent past, by bringing back the challenging memories of being a teenager. This play makes the audience rethink the struggles they once had to endure during their young lives.

The production of The Wolves, written by Sarah DeLappe and directed by Candice Clasby, is a contemporary piece that tackles the modern struggles of being a teenager in a society where they are often overlooked.

“It covers a lot of global issues, it covers issues that we just deal with as an adolescent growing up into adulthood,” said Clasby on the play’s relevance to the audience.

“It is a story about how suddenly everything can just happen, even though it is just a soccer team,” said Priscilla Khor who plays “Player 13.”

From political views to modern first world struggles of adolescents, the endeavors of these characters go beyond indoor soccer.

So much emotion with no words said is what the scene brought to the audience.
So much emotion with no words said is what the scene brought to the audience. Photo credit: Juliet Parker

As the play goes on we learn more about each character; from what seems to just be loud teenagers, we quickly learn that each character is going through their phases and changes.

Whether it be an external conflict with a friend, or a more internal problem such as social anxiety that is derived from outside pressure.

Regan Roth, who plays “Player 46,” is the odd one out in the play. As the show continues to develop, Player 46 begins to fit in with her teammates, but at the same time there seems to be conflict arising within the group.

Roth believes that the audience will easily connect to Player 46, “everyone relates to that feeling of not fitting in, so I think a lot of people will see a bit of themselves in 46.”

The audience is exposed to different types of personalities.

From the odd one out to a loud extrovert character, the cast painted the picture of a modern and diverse friend group.

One of the final scenes of the play that will give the audience something to think about.
One of the final scenes of the play that will give the audience something to think about. Photo credit: Juliet Parker

With such a diverse cast, Clasby had room to move her pieces around to truly create a variety of characters.

“For me diversity is number one when I cast a show, we have a very diverse student body (here at Fullerton College) and it should be reflected on the stage,” said Clasby.

The technical aspects of the play tie in with the cast as well.

From the lights, choice of music, and sounds, the production of the play seemed to be thoroughly planned out to make the entire play connect. The audience will easily feel the emotions from which the characters portray.

This play will definitely bring all aspects of the struggles teenagers experience that the audience once went through as well.

The opening night of The Wolves will be on Thursday, May 4 at 7:30 p.m. and will run until Saturday, May 6. Presale tickets are $16 while tickets at the door are priced at $19.

The Wolves will run over two separate weekends that will last until Thursday, May 11 and will available for audience to attend until the final day which will be on Saturday, May 13 at 7:30 p.m.