Latest Print Issue
Instagram
Spotify

Five Local Places to Prepare and Destress for Finals

The heart of the city of Fullerton can be considered a higher education capital in Orange County with four colleges and four high schools downtown. Taking some time to sit back and take a break, especially during those long nights of studying or any last minute “oopsie I forgot” assignments can be a way of self care for students all around. These places have a way to make students unwind. Whichever the case may be, here is a run down of the best five places every student needs to try. 

The Night Owl 

(Chastain Flores)

It feels right to start this list with something very familiar for students around Fullerton, if their social media mentions are anything to go by. Located downtown, The Night Owl has become famous for their weekly open mic nights. Students can relax or get some work done while enjoying live music and delicious drinks and treats. 

Made Coffee

(Chastain Flores)

Made Coffee is located across the way from Night Owl. Its serene and calm environment is ideal for studying as well as a nice drink of your choice with a friend, courtesy of the best dressed baristas you can find as well as the friendliest. Their spiced chai latte with oat milk is one to remember. Mixed with chai powder and steamed with the milk, the powder is melted with the milk giving it a creamy and sweet taste, as opposed to mixing it with hot water. Ideal if you’re not much of a coffee person.

Bodhi Leaf 

(Mariana E.G.)

This coffee shop takes pride in their different coffee beans imported from the best family owned farms all around the world. Coffee lovers will have this cool and refreshing shop setting that makes it easy to get productive or hang out with friends to enjoy a well crafted drink, made out of beans imported from places like Guatemala, Indonesia, Ethiopia and Brazil, amongst others. 

Half Off Books 

(Chastain Flores)

This small and charming shop is hidden in Wilshire Avenue downtown and has been a gem amongst students in town or independent writers who wish to sell their books in the “local writers” section of the store. Ideal for bookworms and vintage record lovers on a budget. You can feel yourself submerge as soon as you walk in and stay there for hours browsing through the many sections with a cup of coffee in hand from the shops around.

Walk on Wilshire 

(Chastain Flores)

The downtown seating area located in a closed off section of Wilshire Avenue might be your best option if you wish to update your Instagram profile. The seating area has many tables surrounded by fairy lights. It is a great place to mingle amongst friends and chat for hours while enjoying the local restaurants and shops around. The aesthetic of this place will also make a trendy photoshoot for anyone’s Instagram’s feed.