Fullerton bounces back against Southwestern

The Hornets dominate the entire game against the Jaguars, leaning on their strong running game.
Elvis Vakapuna catches a 9-yard pass. He runs into the touchdown as multiple Jaguar defenders try to stop him on his second touchdown on Oct. 5, 2024.
Jose C. Gutierrez

The Hornets left Sherbeck Field with a 49-14 victory against the Jaguars on Saturday night.

Fullerton College led with a head start on the scoreboard after scoring their first touchdown thanks to sophomore running back Elvis Vakapuna’s 5-yard run less than six minutes into the first quarter, followed by the PAT from sophomore kicker Charles Viorel, which put the Hornets up 7-0 on the scoreboard.

Vakapuna’s second touchdown came shortly after with 7:42 minutes left on the clock, which put the Hornets at 14-0 still within the first quarter. With 5:33 minutes left on the clock, Southwestern scored their first touchdown..

The Hornets ended a high scoring first quarter ahead 21-7, by getting their third touchdown on the ground, but this time the scorer was sophomore QB Tobey Schmidt .

During the third quarter, Schmidt threw a pass to sophomore wide receiver Jabre Bevineau on 1st down that was heavily contested, which resulted in a pass interference penalty for Southwestern. During this play, Bevineau’s helmet was removed.

Losing their helmet did not prevent Jabre Bevineau from breaking a tackle and picking up some extra yards. He would score on a 12-yard pass later on the drive on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2024. (Jose C. Gutierrez)

“I caught the ball, tried to run and kept going,” said Bevinau, “they ripped my helmet off and I had to get down after that. I don’t want to get hit in the head, so I hit the floor and got up.”

Following this incident, Fullerton scored their sixth and seventh touchdowns, putting the Hornets ahead on the scoreboard through three quarters.

In garbage time of the fourth quarter, the Jaguars added their second touchdown of the game by QB Hunter Maxwell on a 2 yd run with 13:24 minutes left on the clock until the game was over. This resulted in the Hornets winning the game with an overall score of 49-14 against the Jaguars.

The Hornets will have a bye week this upcoming Saturday Oct. 12 that they will use to put in more work to prepare for the following week against San Diego Mesa College. This will be the Homecoming game at Sherbeck Field on Oct. 17. Kickoff will start at 7:00 p.m.

After the game, QB Tobey Schmidt gave a statement on the team’s performance as well as his own, “The goal was to execute–It’s been slow on offense but we’ve worked hard this past week and we’ve been just trying to get first down after first down and get it going.”

Schmidt had also stated that overall the team did very well during the game and that they will focus on keeping up the hard work.

When asked what challenges Southwestern presented, Co-Head Coach Phil Austin stated, “They had a quarterback that could move around and they had some pretty good receivers and some active D linemen–but we were able to handle them pretty good though.”

Austin also stated that he was most proud of the performance of the offensive line.

“There’s still stuff on film that we need to learn–we play some really good teams coming up and we just have to look to improve, where to get better and get back to work,” said Austin in a final statement.