Serving the Fullerton Community Since 1922

The Hornet

The Hornet

Serving the Fullerton Community Since 1922

The Hornet

Schade hits game winner in double overtime to advance Lady Warriors into CIF quarter-finals

After finishing off another undefeated season in the Freeway League, it took two overtime periods for Troy to top Mira Costa 10-9 in the first round of CIF Division 2 girls water polo.

After a timeout late in the second overtime, Troy Goalkeeper Vendi Jors threw the ball towards what looked like open water but The Lady Warriors’ leading scorer on the season, Claire Schade popped out from underwater on the right wing and launched a left handed shot from 20 meters.

The ball bounced off the left post onto the back of the goalkeeper’s head and into the goal.

The last play was designed for the lefty senior captain Schade as an “underwater pop up from the far side line, we tried to take whatever we could get,” said Troy Coach Jason Wilson.

Elle Jack started things off for Troy with an early goal. Skylar Jefferson and Chloe Lee responded right back with two goals for Mira Costa.

With nine seconds left in the first quarter, Karly Feenstra scored a goal for Troy to tie the game at 2-2.

Megan O’Malley scored a goal to break the tie and put Troy back on top. Skylar Jefferson had a chance to tie it up for Mira Costa but missed a penalty shot. Schade scored her first goal with twenty-two seconds left before the half as Troy led 4-2.

The third quarter began with a jumpball at the center mark of the pool as Schade shot out of the water to gain possession for Troy.

Lee pulled a spin move on two Troy defenders, pulled back for a wide open shot, but was rejected by Schade who recovered for a field block that looked like a sure score for Mira Costa (13-13, 5-3).

Annie Patton scored for Troy to push them to a 5-2 lead. Freshman Lee Lyter scored a goal and Kate Dixon hit a penalty shot that skipped off the top bar and into the cage to bring the Mustangs back in the game.

Jefferson hit a lob shot to tie the game at 5-5 but O’Malley got a put-back off a miss to give Troy a 6-5 lead at the end of the third.

Lyter won the fourth quarter sprint and scored a goal for the Mustangs to tie the game at 6-6.

O’Malley once again responded with a goal for the Warriors.

Aminidy Anorve attempted a shot from the left post but was blocked by Schade, her second field block of the game.

With a little less than four minutes left in the game, Ava Mattis scored a goal to put Troy up 8-6.

It appeared as if Troy (22-6, 7-0) would hold on to win, but with 3:23 left, Schade was called for an ejection and Jefferson scored on the 6-on-5 advantage to bring the Mustangs within one.

Lyter scored a goal to tie it at 8-8 with a minute to go, both teams desperate for a win in a game with constant lead changes and ties.

Troy called a timeout with twenty-two seconds left on the clock but Schade’s lob shot went out of bounds. With three seconds in the game, Mira Costa had a chance to win but Lyter missed a shot wide left and the game went into overtime.

Troy goalkeeper  Jors continued anchoring the Warrior defense in the extra period as she reached left for a one handed block and multiple close saves down the stretch.

O’Malley scored in the first overtime but Lyter tied the game at 9-9 with 1:18 to go in the second overtime period.

Schade got a steal and Troy called timeout with 44 seconds left in the game.

Mira Costa designed a play for the hot hand Lyter but her shot was blocked out of bounds. The Mustangs had a final chance to tie the game with 8 seconds left. They could not get a shot off as the Warrior defense converged and the final horn sounded.

In preparing for the next game, Wilson wants his team to “play with more energy, passion, and not be afraid to shoot. In order to win the next game, we’re going to have to play the best we’ve ever played this season.”

Troy plays Agoura (19-7, 6-0) Saturday in a quarter final matchup