Fullerton men’s soccer ends preseason on high note

Fullerton Men’s Soccer launches into conference play with a 2-1 win over Glendale College Vaqueros.

The Hornets came into the game with a four-game losing streak and looked to improve their 1-5 overall record. With conference play starting on Friday, the team wanted to continue to improve their play and come out with a win.

“The hardest part was going through the four-game losses and knowing we outplayed our opponents,” said sophomore team captain Tyler Grassi,”Season is what really matters to us, so today to come out with a positive result is a huge confidence booster.”

Tyler Grassi Defending
Left back Tyler Grassi defending an attack on Tuesday, September 12, 2017. Photo credit: Ayrton Lauw

Fullerton got off to a quality start and evoked their possessive style of play to create scoring chances in the opening minutes of the match. Although the team found space inside the defensive half, they could only manage one scoring opportunity in the first half.

The game heated up when freshman forward Miles Metoyer found space on the right side with some superb cuts to get into the penalty box where he uncorked a shot on goal only to see the ball deflected and sail wide left of the net keeping the score 0-0 at halftime.

The second half was déjà vu of the first half, with the Hornets maintaining possession and controlling the pace of the match.

Tyler Grassi Prepping
Left Back Tyler Grassi ready to send the ball towards the Glendale side on Tuesday, September 12, 2017. Photo credit: Ayrton Lauw

The Hornets wasted no time in the second half when freshman Defender Cesar Coronado created space down the right side where his cross found Forward Danny Abrego-Fulton, who fired a right footed rocket at the goal, just to see his shot tipped over the crossbar by the Vaqueros goalkeeper.

Fullerton finally found the back of the net when Forward Cesar Ortega was given a pass in the defensive half and found space to place the ball into the back of the net that put Fullerton up 1-0.

Felipe Sanchez Header
Hornet Defenseman Felipe Sanchez hits a header to the Glendale side on Tuesday, September 12, 2017. Photo credit: Ayrton Lauw

Fullerton soon lost their lead when Glendale was granted a corner kick and a cross bounced around finding a Glendale player who placed the ball in the back of the net tying the game 1-1.

“Even though it was upsetting, we knew push and we could persevere and find our chance at goal. That has been our goal throughout this whole pre-season. So, we knew we needed to keep our composure and we would find the back of the net,” said sophomore centerback Armando Torres.

With the final minutes looming and tensions rising, Fullerton received a corner kick. The ball was crossed when Grassi soared above a Vaquero defender and scored a magnificent header to give the Hornets 2-1 lead and end their losing streak.

Danny Abrego-Fulton kick.
Left Wing Danny Abrego-Fulton prepares for a shot attempt on Tuesday, September 12, 2017. Photo credit: Ayrton Lauw

“We have Golden West next, which is one of our favorite opponents to play, it will be a tough and physical conference game. Our games are always classics and we hope to start league play with a win,” said Grassi who received Man of the Match.

Catch the Hornets as they begin Conference play against Golden West at home on Sept. 15 at 3 p.m.