Fall Choral Concert ends on a high note

Fullerton College’s Wilshire Auditorium was filled with a lively crowd, upbeat music, and a show conducted by John Tebay last Wednesday evening. The concert served as a warm and welcoming kick off for the fall season.

“I felt very happy with the concert,” said Tebay. This is Tebay’s 29th year directing this event.

The concert was held from 7:30 to 9 p.m. with an attendance of over 175 school and community members. The two groups that performed were the Fullerton College’s Concert Choir with 85 singers and Fullerton College’s Chamber Singers with 41 singers. Between the two groups, 13 pieces were performed.

A singer in both performances Jacqueline Slipp has enjoyed two years in the school choir. Slipp has been singing since she was a child and was inspired by her parents.

“My family is full of singers,” said Slipp, the 19-year-old sophomore music major. Slip plans to transfer to a university to get her degree and then possibly go overseas to Germany or Austria to continue her singing career.

Another student who started singing young is 20-year-old Kali Hardwick. Hardwick is a third-year Fullerton College student and is very passionate about music.

“I felt really connected to the music,” said Hardwick. “There were some ups and downs, but overall I think it went really well.”

Hardwick plans on continuing her vocal performance major at a school in either San Francisco or Rochester.

“Music is the only thing I couldn’t live without,” said Hardwick.

Opposite of these two ladies, Emilio Valdez, 19, has only been singing for the past few years. Valdez is a sophomore vocal performance major and got into this major due to his natural talent.

“I’m good at it, so I just went with it,” said Valdez.

Valdez wants to continue his music career until he reaches his dream of being in an opera.

Audience member, Sean Figley, found the performance to be very lively and entertaining.

“I play guitar and sing, but this choir was awesome,” said Figley, a 20-year-old student.

Figley said the show was a good mixture of upbeat and darker songs.

“My favorite song was the one called Dwijavanthi,” said Figley. “This song was unique because it doesn’t use traditional scales that are heard in songs.”

Later this year the choir is attending a choir director convention in South Carolina. This will be the fifth big directors convention the choir has attended with Tebay.

Teba is excited for this opportunity because it is an honor and a time for the students to grow in their musical talents.

“I love the music and the students,” said Tebay. “They’re amazing to work with. I’ve loved every single day of this job.”

Tebay teaches two classes for the choirs every semester. The Music Department will put on their next concert, Cabana Boys, this Friday, Nov. 22, and will be directed by Greg Woll.