Deadline to transfer approaches, but some students are lost in transit

The deadline to apply to transfer to a number of universities is Nov. 30, and Fullerton College has many students transferring out to four-year universities this year, but some have misconceptions about the process.

“A huge misconception is that a student must have their transfer courses completed in order to begin the application process,” said Brandi Avila, a transfer specialist at the Cadena Cultural and Transfer Center. “It is best to come into the transfer center as early as one whole academic year before because you will be able to apply before the courses are complete.”

Brandi Avila
Brandi Avila is the transfer specialist in the Cadena Transfer Center at Fullerton college. Photo credit: Lann Nguyen

As long as the necessary courses are completed by the time the transfer would take place, students are on the right path.

It is important to be aware of deadlines by individual institutions especially if a student is planning on transferring out of state or to a private university.

The Transfer Center will help students with all transfer applications, not just to California universities, as long as students come in and ask.

Another misconception that Avila squashed is that students need to make an appointment, which also is not true. Students can make appointments for personal statement review or academic counseling, but can walk in anytime for application questions.

The Transfer Center offers college campus tours with a reservation fee of $5, but students get the money back when they show up for the actual tour, so it ends up being free when students follow through with their commitment.

This is a good opportunity to get a feel for possible campuses that students might want to apply to.

Transfer center sign
The deadline to transfer to a UC or USC is November 30. Don't delay and visit the transfer center soon. Photo credit: Lann Nguyen

Fullerton College provides resources like the Transfer Center to assist students with finding the school that best matches the individual.

“Originally I planned on majoring in business and wanted to pursue a transfer from Fullerton college to Cal State University of Fullerton, but I changed my mind. Now I wants to pursue lighting for concerts,” said Antonio Palomino, a first year Fullerton College student.

The Transfer Center also helps students with the school or schools they are interested in by finding financial resources available as well as scholarship opportunities.

The transfer rate at Fullerton College is 19 percent, but that number can rise if more students equip themselves with the knowledge to meet deadlines and effectively apply to schools.

To keep up to date with news and access resources from the Cadena Cultural and Transfer Center, visit their Facebook page.