One Book, One College will discuss “Just Mercy” in an effort to educate and connect

The Fullerton College One Book, One College program will host a panel discussion on the book “Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption” by Bryan Stevenson.

The event will be held on Thur., Nov. 30 in room 526 from 4:15 to 5:15 p.m.

The panel discussing the book will be made up of students who have read the book this semester for their English classes and will be hosted by two Fullerton College English professors.

Bryan Stevenson’s acclaimed and award winning book tells the story of his time as a young lawyer in the south working to free his client who maintains his innocence after being accused of murder. Stevenson also writes of his upbringing in the book and about those who have been neglected and abused by society and end up in the criminal justice system.

“Bryan Stevenson, the author of ‘Just Mercy,’ does an excellent job showing readers what it looks like on the other side of the justice system, what it looks and feels like to be on death row, to be a child in prison, to be anyone in prison,” said professor Samantha Krag, Chair of the One Book, One College Committee.

Professor Kimberly Orlijan, who will be one of two professors facilitating the panel, hopes that “the attendees are exposed to the great work our students are doing in the classroom and hear something about the book they might not have considered.”

“Attendees will also get a chance to see their peers’ academic work. It is important for students to support each other and learn from each others research,” said Krag.

The student panelists will be speaking on issues such as police brutality, the criminal justice system, racial inequality, the death penalty and mass incarceration.