Study abroad program jets off to Buenos Aires for summer 2019

The study abroad program is heading to Bueno Aires for summer 2019. The program has not been back to Bueno Aires since it began in 1986. On Tuesday Oct. 30 the program held an information session in room 229 where it informed students of the many benefits studying abroad can offer.

Studying abroad has many long-term benefits, not only does it give students the opportunity to expand their knowledge about different cultures, but it is also beneficial when it comes to looking for a job.

According to the Institute of European Study (IES) Abroad Alumni Outcomes research., “About 97% students who chose to study abroad find employment within 12 months of graduation, which almost doubles the rate of college graduates who find employment in the same amount of time.”

studyabroad flyer
The study abroad program is heading to Bueno Aires for summer 2019. An information session was held on Oct. 30 in room 229. Photo credit: studyabroad.fullcoll.edu

Sociology student Emily Ramon studied abroad last summer and is looking forward to learn about all the new activities that will be offered when going to Buenos Aires. She is looking for a whole new, different experience.

Students who attended the meeting are seeking to do something they have never done before and enrich themselves in a new world of studying and travel experiences.

“I want to experience a different culture. Also to know what it’s like to be on my own and travel on my own,” said political science major, Andrea Moreno.

Doug Eisner, the study abroad program coordinator, cited many practical benefits of studying abroad aside from just experiencing a different culture. International experiences teach students skills such as interacting effectively and harmoniously with other people.

“It’s good for their careers, because it teaches you adaptability, and creativity. Plus employers want people who are flexible and have some international experience,” said Eisner.

The application process for the student abroad program is broken up into two applications and only a 300 dollar deposit is asked for upfront. Students who apply must have the following qualifications; 12 units of college-level work completed, must have a “C” or better in English 100 (or equivalent), a GPA of at least 2.5 or greater, and be at least 18 years old before the start of the semester.

For more information about the application process, go to studyabroad.fullcoll.edu