News Briefs for Feb. 12

• Deadline to apply for commencement is Friday

The last day to submit an application for spring graduation is Friday, Feb. 21. No fee is required to apply. Applications can both be picked up and turned into Admissions & Records.

• FC nominates students of great achievement

Men & Women of Distinction nominations are due Thursday, Feb. 20 at the Student Affairs office. Each FC faculty and staff member is asked to make at least one nomination for both a male and female student who has been particularly outstanding in their field. The students selected will be publicly recognized at the Men and Women of Distinction Program on Friday, May 9. Nomination forms are available in Student Affairs in Room 223.

• Fullerton gathers books for local schools

The FC Reading Department is celebrating 100 years of higher education in Fullerton by giving back books to the community. The department will be collecting new and gently used fiction and non-fiction books for K-12. These books will be donated to local schools, the Boys and Girls Club and Fullerton Community Centers. Look for donation bins at the public library, Amtrak, Fullerton Art Walk and on campus.

• An evening of Downtown musical exchange

The Continental Room is hosting a record swap on Sunday, Feb. 16 from noon-5 p.m. for those who are 21 and over. There will be vendors from Los Angeles and Orange County with a variety of records, a bar and live DJs. Entrance is free. The Continental Room is located at 115 W. Santa Ana Ave in Downtown Fullerton.

• UC Berkeley welcomes FC honor students

Honors students are encouraged to present their original research at the Annual Honors Research Symposium by the Bay Honors Consortium and UC Berkeley. This event will provide presentations from a wide range of disciplines along with campus tours and entertainment and will take place on Saturday, May 3. Proposals to speak at the Symposium are now being accepted. These 100-150 word abstracts are due by Sunday, Feb. 16. For more information, visit www.losmedanos.edu.

• Cultural Center puts on a night of romance

Just in time for Valentine’s Day, the South Coast Storytellers provide an intimiate show with face-to-face storytelling. These performers are known throughout Orange County for their captivatinglove stories from different cultures. This two hour event will take place on Thursday, Feb. 13 at 7:30 p.m. at the Muckenthaler Cultural Center located at 1201 W. Malvern Ave.