FC goes to Paris for the French Film Festival

Fullerton College French Film Festival brought an emersion of cultural and community in its opening night.

This is the 10th year that the festival has been at Fullerton College. It was organized by French professor Catherine Reinhardt—Zacair. This is the fourth year she has headed the event. When Reinhardt—Zacair first took over she added a cultural event prior to the movies to fully bring Europe to Fullerton.

“To experience a sense of community like they do in Europe and show people how Europe would do a similar event,” Reinhardt—Zacair said.

Moulin Rouge.JPG
Students replica of the Moulin Rouge in France is displayed at the Fullerton French Film Festival opening night, April 2. Photo credit: Maureen Grimaldo

The cultural event took place at the theater courtyard. Paintings and replicas of famous French locations created by FC students were on display around the courtyard. Students also showcased their talents with paintings and providing caricature drawings.

“A fun opportunity…to come out and experience what it is like to be at an art festival in France,” Kayla Cody, a fine arts major said.

Singing group.jpg
Fullerton students and faculty sing during the cultural event at the Fullerton French Film Festival opening night, April 2. Photo credit: Maureen Grimaldo

Attendees wandered around the courtyard visiting each food station while listening to the live performances. The live entertainment was performed by FC students, which included group and solo performers that played throughout the event.

Each day the festival will feature foods from local restaurants in Fullerton with Fench inspired foods giving the full European experience.

“The owner is passionate about Paris and has participated [in the event] since the beginning,” Alicia Villa from Crepes De Paris in Brea said.

The festival will continue to run until Friday, Apr. 5 and will have a cultural event prior to the film showing. The cultural event starts at 6:30 p.m.

paintings 2.jpg
Student's French inspired paintings displayed during the Fullerton French Film Festival opening night, April 2. Photo credit: Maureen Grimaldo

Wednesday will feature a German language film. The entertainment and food for the cultural event prior to the movie will be German inspired.

All proceeds from ticket sales will go towards two scholarships. The Molière scholarship will be awarded to a French student and, for the first time, the Konrad Adenauer to a German student.

All remaining films will be shown at the campus theater and include English subtitles. Showtime is at 7:30 p.m. Admission for each film is $6.50 and tickets can be purchased at the Campus Box Office.

Remaining Film Schedule

Wednesday, Apr. 3, 2019: Mein Blind Date Mit Dem Leben/My Blind Date with Life; Saliya becomes blind as a teenager, and in spite of everyone telling him he has limits, he starts working in a luxury hotel by keeping his condition a secret. His bluff starts to unravel when he falls in love with someone at the hotel.

Thursday, Apr. 4, 2019: Un Sac De Billes/A Bag of Marbles; The story of a small Jewish boy’s flight, with his brother Maurice, to escape from Nazi occupied France during World War II.

Friday, Apr. 5, 2019: Demain Tout Commence/Two is a Family; A man’s life is turned upside down when an old flame leaves a child on his doorstep, claiming it is his. He moves to London and raises the child by himself.