FC students now ride buses for free

Fullerton College students can now get free unlimited rides on all OC Bus local fixed routes. The free OCTA Bus passes are available to all students currently enrolled in the fall 2019 semester.

Students can get the bus pass on their smartphone by downloading the OC Bus Mobile Ticketing App. Bus riders will need to create an account using the same email address used when registering for classes at Fullerton. The app will allow students to scan the bus pass from their smart phone once onboard the bus.

OCTA brochure
You can find more information about the free OCTA Bus pass available for Fullerton College students at OCbus.com/FC. Photo credit: Fullerton College

Hornets also have the option to swipe their FC student ID card for a free ride. A campus student ID can be obtained at the Student Center, located on the first level of the 200 building next to room 214. A new ID is required to be activated for use on the bus for all new and returning students. The fall semester hours for the Student Center can be found here.

The pass includes direct routes that travel to Fullerton College from different areas in Orange County Route 143 from La Habra and Route 43/543 from Costa Mesa. The free pass also includes routes that will take students to areas throughout OC. A full list of the free routes can be located at the OC Bus site.

octa bus
A digital map of OCTA Bus routes serving Fullerton College students throughout Orange County. Photo credit: OCTA

The free pass will only be valid during the current semester. Mobile app users will have their pass automatically renewed with enrollment. Students using their campus ID will have to reactivate their pass each semester after they have enrolled. All students will need to remain in good standing with FC and have no outstanding charges on their account.

The first year of the 3-year pilot program will be funded by the Low Carbon Transit Operations Program, a part of the Cap-and-Trade Program and the Mobile Source Air Pollution Review Committee. The second and third year will be funded with fees paid by Fullerton students at registration.

During the spring 2019 A.S. elections, Fullerton students voted to add a fee that would fund the OCTA bus pass starting this fall. Beginning fall 2020, full-time students will be charged a fee of $5.75 and part-time students will pay $5 at enrollment.

The OC Bus website and mobile app trip planner provides riders with a digital travel map and travel time estimate when their start and destination points are entered. A full list of OCTA Bus routes and more information can be found at OCTA.net.