Hornet soccer teams defend the hive

Over the weekend, men’s and women’s soccer took care of business as they came away with two big home wins in the season home opener.

Men’s Soccer

Fullerton College men’s soccer brings the heat with a 3-0 shutout victory over the Glendale Vaqueros Friday, Aug. 30.

Scorching heat did not deter the Hornet’s in the season opener as they looked to rebound from a tough loss to Cerritos College.

DSC_0260.JPG
Hornets freshman Gio Marsh, goes up against two of Glendale's defensive players to move the ball into scoring opportunity Friday, Aug. 30. Photo credit: Jose Vazquez

Tensions rose after the Hornets drew first blood, a strike from freshman Jonathan Aleman assisted by freshman Derek Von Puschendorf. Fullerton remained on the attack as they swarmed the pitch leading 1-0.

The second goal was rocketed in by Hornets freshman Kyle Thomas, killing the momentum for the Vaqueros.

The first half of the game play became aggressive in the scorching weather. The aggressive play was countered by good defensive plays by both teams, but leaving Fullerton ahead 2-0.

At half time Fullerton’s school mascot “Buzzy” kept the crowd energized in the blazing heat with a quick dance routine to fire up the student section.

IMG_3534.jpg
Buzzy and dedicated fans cheer on the Hornets to victory in 90 degree weather Friday, Aug. 30. Photo credit: Jose Vazquez

Desperation grew for the Vaqueros as time expired resulting in tempers flaring and jawing from both sides.

Fullerton put their foot on the gas and never looked back, it was clear the Hornets came to win. The Vaqueros remained on the defensive as Fullerton dominated the attack.

The hornets came close to adding to their lead but saw a great save from Glendale’s goalie, but Fullerton remained on the attack until the very end.

Freshman Ryan Meinardus weaved his way through traffic to attempt a shot that went in sealing the victory, 3-0, for the Hornets and slamming the door on any attempt at a comeback.

Men’s soccer will play their next game at home Thursday, Sep. 4 at 3 p.m. against Chaffey.

Women’s Soccer

Defensive miscues work in favor for the Lady Hornet’s in their 2-1 home opener victory over the Mt. SAC Mounties Friday, Aug. 30.

The first half both teams came out aggressive on defense, shutting out any opportunities offensively. A combined total of three yellow cards for the Mounties in the first half forced them to play tenderly.

Hornets sophomore Regina Sanchez-Molina, scored the first goal of the game with an assist from freshman forward Morgan Dack to take the lead 1-0.

Wsoccer
Freshman forward Morgan Dack, aggressively attacks the ball against the Mounties at the home-opener Friday, Aug. 30. Photo credit: Jim McCormack

FC midfielder Victoria Arrieta, continued the momentum on offensive with an assist to freshman Rocio Martinez-Marquez who knocked the ball into the back of the net.

The Lady Hornet’s took a 2-0 victory late in the game and looked to emulate the men’s victory with a shutout of their own.

Two more yellow cards handcuffed the Mounties as they looked to make a comeback. The warnings appeared to have no effect on them as they remained aggressive.

Mt. SAC wanted no part of a shutout as the Mounties Hannah Grady scored in minute 70 of the game.

Fullerton quickly rebounded defensively, they did not allow another goal the remainder of the game sealing a 2-1 victory.

The Lady Hornets next game is at El Camino College Saturday, Sept. 6. at 2 p.m.