Missed opportunities doom the Hornets in loss to No.1 Tigers

The Fullerton Hornets let a close home game slip away, 16-7, to the Riverside City College Tigers Saturday, Sept. 14.

Saturdays matchup saw the Hornets face off a very good Riverside Tigers team that is ranked No.1 according to JCGriwire’s national poll.

Both teams struggled to get going offensively to start the game. Defensively both teams played very well as the first quarter ended with the score even at 0-0.

158B1716.jpg
Hornets Kailan Noseff and Ja'ren Kenyatta take down RCC Shawn Dourseau Saturday, Sept. 14. Photo credit: Ciera Chavez

The first score of the game came as the Tigers took the ball at the Fullerton 40-yard line. After a 35-yard drive Riverside quarterback Mike Irwin, rushed in for a touchdown to take the lead for the Tigers 7-0.

The Riverside defense continued to dominate as they blanked the Hornets in the first half holding them to just 92 total yards.

As the third quarter started, defense continued to shine. Both teams struggled to produce much offense in this game.

With 6:25 on the game clock Fullerton began their second drive of the game on their own 10-yard line.

On the second play of the drive, FC QB Quinn Commans completed a 53-yard dime to freshman wide receiver Kailan Noseff for the first down on the Riverside 35-yard line.

6FF381BE-C302-43AB-B34C-319D07555E6D.jpeg
FC freshman wide receiver Kailan Noseff rushes for a Hornets first down against Riverside City College Saturday, Sept. 14. Photo credit: Ciera Chavez

Following a 10-yard sack, Commans launched a 45-yard pass to sophomore Keon Fogg for a touchdown. After the extra point, the score was tied 7-7 with 4:50 left to play in the third quarter.

Riverside stepped up in the fourth quarter as they drove the ball down the field to the Fullerton 21-yard line.

The Hornets came up huge on the next play with an interception at the two yard line by freshman defensive back David Farmer.

The Hornets first play of the drive took a turn for the worst as Commans handed the ball off to running back Lucky Avinger, but the Tigers defense were already in the back field. Avinger was tackled in the end zone for a safety, giving the Tigers a 9-7 lead with 11:55 to play.

Following the safety, Fullerton forced a three and out and drove down the field to their own 8-yard line but a blocked field goal attempt wasted the drive for the Hornets.

IMG_1268.jpg
Hornets freshman Josh Tarango sacks the Tigers QB Saturday, Sept. 14. Photo credit: Ciera Chavez

After a turnover, the Hornets gave the ball back to the Tigers with 2:09 to play. A couple rushes and a quick pass doomed the Hornets as the touchdown would lead to the final score of 16-7.

The Hornets defense impressed as they held the No. 1 Tigers to 191 total yards and four sacks on the day.

Fullerton will look to rebound away next week against Santa Ana College for The Key to the County game starting at 6 p.m.

View Comments (1)

Comments are Closed.
  • D

Damion LloydSep 18, 2019 at 2:14 pm

There were 252 total Fullerton College fans (including infants and children) at the game vs Riverside on Saturday. I have photographs I can share that prove this.

Please explain why the college insists it needs a 4,417 seat stadium with such low attendance figures?

Perhaps Dean Grossman or A.D. Scott Giles would care to chime in on this matter? President Schulz? Anyone?