Hornets run away with a victory over Palomar

Fullerton College defeated the Palomar Comets 55-42, at Yorba Linda High School on Saturday.

The Hornets entered Saturday’s game 2-4 looking to get their first win in conference play after another close loss, last week, to the Cerritos Falcons.

The Hornets got off to a fast start after freshman WR Kashan Griffin took the opening kickoff to the Comets 12-yard line. The next play, freshman Brandon Rankins rushed for a 12-yard score giving the Hornets a 7-0 lead.

158B3766-1.jpg
Freshman running back Brandon Rankins runs for a big gain against the Palomar defense. Photo credit: Adam Aranda

After a Comet punt, the Hornets drove down the field once again. Freshman running back Alfonso Graham finished off a 68-yard drive with a four-yard touchdown run that extended their lead to 14-0.

Palomar would cut down the Hornets lead to 7 points after Comets WR Johnny Armentro torched the Hornets secondary for a 52-yard touchdown reception. The score trimmed the Hornets lead to 14-7.

The Hornets would continue to dominate the line of scrimmage. On a fourth-and-two play, Rankins broke free for a 48-yard touchdown run. The score extended Fullerton’s lead to 21-7.

The Comets would fight to remain in the game. Thompson would cap off an 11-play, 67-yard drive with a 2-yard touchdown run that cut the Hornets lead to 21-14.

The Hornets responded with a long touchdown pass from Sophomore QB Cooper Callis to freshman WR Kailan Noseff for a 25-yard touchdown. The score put the Hornets up 28-14.

158B3824-1.jpg
Running back Lucky Avinger and wide receiver Kailan Noseff celebrate after a touchdown run in the third quarter Photo credit: Adam Aranda

Late in the second quarter, the Comets were looking to cut into the Hornets lead when sophomore DB Xavion Steele picked off Thompson and returned the interception 85 yards for a touchdown. The score extended the Hornets lead to 35-14 going into halftime.

Steele explained how he saw the quarterback reading him and knew to break on the ball. “Like we say as DB’s if you know you go,” said Steele

The Hornets continued to shred the Palomar defense when Callis scrambled for a 41-yard run before being wrestled down at the 8-yard line.

Unable to capitalize, the Hornets would settle for a field goal by freshman kicker Alex Foncesca to extend the Hornets lead to 38-14.

Just when it seemed like the game was out of reach, Thompson connected with Lamar Roboteau for a 19-yard touchdown that cut the Hornets lead to 38-21.

At the start of the fourth quarter, the Hornets looked to ice the game after sophomore RB Lucky Avinger rushed for a 5-yard touchdown run. The score extended the Hornets lead to 48-21.

Later in the quarter, the Hornets sealed the game when sophomore QB Quinn Commans hit sophomore WR Hunter Rison for a 19-yard touchdown strike. The score extended the Hornets lead to 55-35.

The Comets showed resilience as they battle until the end, but the Hornets proved to be too much for the Palomar Comets, with a final score 55-42.

158B3447-1.jpg
Freshman Alfonzo Graham scored another Hornets touchdown. The Rushing game amassed 350-yards. Photo credit: Adam Aranda

The Hornets potent rushing attack produced a total of 350 yards, dominating at the line of scrimmage in route to a huge day on the ground.

Saturday’s win for the Hornets was a huge confidence booster after the team lost their last three of their last five games. This Conference win helps keep the Hornets hopes of a title alive.

“You talk about resiliency, I think our kids have been absolutely resilient,” said Hornets head coach Garret Campbell. “This week we challenged our kids to take care of little details and to come together and play a complete game and I think they did that this week.”

Next up: The Hornets 2-4 will travel south to face San Diego Mesa Saturday, Nov. 2. Kickoff is at 6 p.m.