FC loses former instructor

John_2004.jpg

John T. Walker, a Fullerton College professor for almost 50 years, passed away recently at the age of 75. He died from complications related to an earlier stroke at the Solace Center Hospice in Asheville, N.C. on Feb. 27, 2014.

Walker served as dean of instruction, along with various other administrative roles and was instrumental in establishing the college’s Study Abroad Program.

Originally coming to Fullerton College in 1963, he taught German at the school for nearly 20 years before moving into the ranks of FC’s administration. Walker came back to the classroom in 1995 as a history professor until his retirement in 2011.

Among the proudest accomplishments of his career, Walker led other faculty in the establishment of the Study Abroad Program for Fullerton and Cypress college. He assisted nearly 1,000 students in their efforts to study in countries like England, Paris, Costa Rica and others over his career.

Born in Chicago. Walker moved to Whittier at the age of 10. He received a full scholarship to Dartmouth College in 1956 after graduating from Whittier High School.

During his tenure at FC, Walker earned a doctorate in history from the University of California, Irvine while also raising four children with his wife Joy. Walker and his wife were married for 22 years during which time they were inseparable, according to family.

Walker, who had retired to North Carolina, suffered a stroke in January of this year.

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that donations be made to the Fullerton College Foundation at www.fullcollfoundation.org.