News Briefs for March 12, 2014

ON CAMPUS

• Notable author brings workshop to FC

Nationally renowned researcher, educator and author Dr. Joy DeGruy will be visiting Fullerton College on Friday, March 28. Her workshop, Culturally Specific Models of Service Delivery and Academic Practice, combines evidence-based models and culturally response intervention approaches. The workshop will take place in Room 224 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. For more information, contact the Office of Equity and Diversity at (714) 808-4830.

• Volunteers for Kindercaminata needed

The Kindercaminata is looking for ambassadors to help out on Friday, May 2 from 7:30 a.m. to noon. These “ambassadors” are student volunteers who will help out by doing things like welcoming teams, teacher assistants, campus tour guides, set-up assistants and some may even get to visit elementary schools. If you are interested in volunteering or would like more details, the forms and information can be found at www.fullcoll.edu/dkyle.

• Forum unites Asian community

In honor of Asian/Pacific Islander Heritage month this May, a forum for anyone interested will be held on Monday, March 24. The forum will consist of a group discussion followed by a keynote address. The speaker will be author Dr. Nhi T. Lieu. The forum will go on from 11:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m in Room 224-8. For more information, contact or visit the Cadena Cultural Center in Room 212 or call them at (714) 992-7086.

OFF CAMPUS

• Fill your weekend with laughter

The annual Orange County Improv Festival is back for a second time for three nights of improv, March 13-15. This year’s fest will be bigger than the first since they are bringing in teams from LA along with the best from Orange County. The cost for a ticket for Thursday is $7 and $10 for Friday and Saturday night. To attend all three days, $20 will get you in every night. Tickets are available on www.ocimprovfest.com

• Fullerton renovates community park

The city of Fullerton along with Fullerton Beautiful, Inc. will celebrate Arbor Day by coming together to help beautify a local park on Saturday, March 15 at 9 a.m. This year the park will be Woodcrest Park, located at 440 W. Orangethorpe Ave. Volunteers who would like to participate are encouraged to bring gloves, water, sturdy shoes and a hat or sunscreen.