‘Bright Star’ a Grammy-nominated musical debuts at Fullerton College

Fullerton College’s Theatre Arts Department invites all to experience Broadway’s “Bright Star” the musical, directed by FC professor Timothy Espinosa.

Inspired by a true event, the critically acclaimed musical written and composed by Steve Martin and Edie Brickell tells a story of childhood, self-discovery, life, and unlikely romance.

“Bright Star” takes the stage in American South during the 1920s and ’40s, where the life of Alice Murphy a magazine editor’s story is told through many important points in her life. Her whole world changes when she meets Billy Cane, a young man who has just come back from WWII. Their relationship inspires her on a road to find her long lost child.

The musical’s Tony-nominated score, sets it aside from others with its twangy bluegrass sound reminiscent of its time period setting the mood for the touching folktale. The score’s recording also received many awards as well as a Grammy Award nomination for Best Musical Theater Album during the 59th annual award ceremony in 2017.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 12.15.50 AM.png
Promo of Bright Star. Photo credit: FC Theatre Department

This is not Steve and Edie’s first collaborative work. Their Grammy-winning bluegrass album “The love has come for you,” was a core inspiration for “Bright Star.”

The show will be hitting Fullerton College at the Bronwyn Dodson Theatre starting Nov. 21-23 and closing Dec. 5-7 at 7:30 p.m.

The performance will run approximately two hours and thirty minutes, with a fifteen-minute intermission.

Admission prices range from door to online pre-sale prices.

Door $15.00 and Pre-sale $12.50

Public parking is available in the Lemon Street Parking Structure for a fee of $3.00 per day.

Cast:

• Billy Cane- Mile Henry
  • Jimmy Ray Dobbs- Jackson Marcy
  • Alice Murph- Kumari Small
  • Mayor Josiah DobbsMatthew Macias
  • Margo Crawford- Grace Nyberg
  • Mama CrawfordCharlie Pitcher
  • Daddy Murphy- Jason Johnson
  • Lucy Grant- Grace Simmons
  • Darryl AmeJohn Vincent Pizzello

About the Contributor
Jose Vazquez
Jose Vazquez, Staff Photographer
Jose Vazquez is a returning staff photographer for The Hornet. Jose wants to tell people's stories and cover points of interest in our culture's conflicts, politics, history, and the obscure. His focus currently is on the emerging music and art scene in Southern California. Jose is currently studying at Fullerton College where he is working towards a bachelor’s degree in photography and journalism. He also volunteers at a nonprofit art house movie theatre in Santa Ana, the historic Frida Theatre. In his free time, he creates videos on his YouTube channel and plays drums in a garage gaze band called Black Star Meadow.