Hornets stay perfect after win over the Eagles

The Hornets extended their season win streak to seven games, on Saturday, after beating the Mt. San Jacinto Eagles 66-48 at home.

Fullerton came into the match-up 6-0 after defeating Santa Monica College, this past Wednesday, for head coach Perry Webster’s 100th victory.

Nearly all of Fullerton’s victories have been double-digit blowouts lead by their defense, and Saturday’s game was more of the same.

The Hornets were down 11-7 early to start the contest before Sophomore guard Tawon Elston scored eight straight points to give them a 15-13 lead.

Fullerton was able to extend this lead to 29-20 by the three-minute mark.
the Hornets kept its lead for the rest of the half but couldn’t pull away just yet, as they headed into halftime with a 35-26 lead.

158B5587.jpg
Hornets sophomore Omajae Smith showing off some fancy footwork against the Eagles. Photo credit: Adam Aranda

The Hornets opened the second half going on a 9-3 run, capped off by a 3-pointer from sophomore guard Omajae Smith, with nearly 17 minutes left to play.

The Eagles weren’t able to close the flood gates, as the Hornets extended their lead by 20 points 54-34 following another 3-pointer from Smith.

With about 10 minutes left in regulation, the Eagles tried to claw their way back into the game.

They were able to cut the lead to 13 points with about eight minutes left, but the Hornets proved to be too much for the Eagles.

Up 55-42 Fullerton’s defense was stout the rest of the way as they were able to keep Mt. San Jacinto from getting back into the game.

The Hornets were lead by Elston once again, scoring 22 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals off the bench.

The second-leading scorer for Fullerton was Smith, who had 15 points as well as 3 rebounds and 1 assist.

158B5625.jpg
Hornets point guard Dj Houston drives to the rim for a layup to increase Fullertons lead. Photo credit: Adam Aranda

Freshman Guard DJ Houston stuffed the stat sheet earning a double-double with 12 points and 11 assists to go with 4 steals.

Next Up: The Hornets will look to stay perfect as they face Cerritos College away on Saturday, Nov. 30, at 5 p.m.

View Comments (1)

Comments are Closed.
  • E

Erica EisenhutNov 24, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Taps, way to go bud! Super proud of you! Keep up the great work.