Bus fare increases stiff students, others

As of early February, the Orange County Transportation Authority increased their bus fares, as approved by the OCTA Board of Directors.

A one- way trip now costs $2 from the previous $1.50, day passes $5 instead of $4 and 30-day passes now cost $69 instead of $55.

OCTA said that the Transportation Development Act requires passengers to pay at least 20 percent of the operating costs, which have risen in the past couple months.

If this number isn’t met they could lose funding under the TDA. This would have resulted in reduced service levels.

This, however, isn’t the first time bus fares have increased in O.C. The most recent time was in January 2009, when the fare jumped 20 percent for a one- way trip; and it rose another 20 percent in 2005. From this pattern we can speculate that the price might rise again in the next four to eight years.

This is leading bus riders to ask at what point riding public transportation will become too expensive? At this rate if the fare keeps climbing it might catch up to gas prices.

Even though passengers only pay one-fifth of the operating cost, the amount could quickly add up for those that rely on the bus to commute to work everyday. For students that commute to school as well, the cost for transportation can become challenging.

We should also take into consideration the bus drivers of OCTA. They have not had a raise in the past four years; and faced a labor dispute back in 2007. The conflict was over a contract that promised a 13 percent raise over a three- year period, but so far, the drivers have only gotten eight percent.

Riders can still save up on bus passes. OCTA has offered a new five-ride pass which expires on the fifth use, which in total costs only $9. There is also a 10 percent discount on pre-paid day passes which comes down to $4.50.

Fullerton College Students can also purchase OCTA bus passes at the Bursar’s Office during business hours Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.

There are also 75- day quarter passes and 120 day semester passes on sale, with some restrictions. The same goes for 30 day senior and disabled passes.

Be sure to check the Bursar’s Office website at fcbursar.fullcoll.edu to learn more.