Hornets take a hard loss to Hawks

Hornets’ sophomore starting pitcher, Jessica Lopez, wasn’t her usual confident self today in the 5 – 2 loss against the Santiago Canyon College Hawks. Lopez was taken out of the game early in the first inning only after hitting two batters and giving up two RBI hits that gave the Hawks an early 2 – 0 lead with no outs.

“Sometimes athletes go through difficult times,” stated Hornets Head Coach Crystal Aguirre. “We’re here for [Jessica] 100% and we have her back. I know she’ll get through it.”

Hornets freshman relief pitcher, Hanna Pionke only made matters worse when she gave up a ground ball out that allowed a baserunner to score from third base and gave up an RBI single to centerfield that scored another run giving the Hawks an intimidating 4 – 0 lead after the first inning.

Hawks starting pitcher, Mystique Rocha, was unstoppable in her complete game against the Hornets.

Third baseman Khloe Lilavois had a triple down the right field line that put her in position to score in the sixth inning
Third baseman Khloe Lilavois had a triple down the right field line that put her in position to score in the sixth inning Photo credit: Phil Thurman

“Mystique pitched a great game,” insisted Hawks Head Coach Lisa Camarco. “She is one of those pitchers that just gets better every inning. She’s a super competitive kid with a solid game plan.”

In her seven innings of work, Rocha struck out seven batters, gave up only one walk and had three consecutive 1-2-3 innings from the first through the third innings. Rocha only allowed four hits; two of them that came off the bat of Hornets’ freshman starting catcher, Celeste Borza.

“It’s nice knowing that what I’m positively having an impact on my team,” said Borza. “I’m doing what I can when I go up [to bat] and just executing.”

Borza’s first knock came in the bottom of the fourth inning when she slapped a grounder up the middle driving home the baserunner, Danielle Ramirez, from second base putting the Hornets on the board 4 – 1.

Starting catcher Celeste Borza went 2 - 3 having two RBI singles that resulted in the only Hornets runs of the game.
Starting catcher Celeste Borza went 2 – 3 having two RBI singles that resulted in the only Hornets runs of the game. Photo credit: Phil Thurman

The Hawks would get that run back in the top of the sixth inning when Amiah Riva reached first base safely off a catching error from Hornets freshman first baseman, Gianna Alvidrez, allowing Hawks baserunner, Dana Demo, to round third base and score increasing the Hawks lead to 5 – 2.

Borza’s final RBI single came in the bottom of the sixth inning from a shot into left field that scored the Hornets baserunner Khloe Lilavois who previously hit a triple down the first baseline. After Borza’s final RBI single, capping the score at 5- 2.

After losing to another Orange Empire rival, the Hornets’ conference record drops to 3 – 2 while their overall record drops to 8 – 5.

The Hornets will get another chance at improving their competitive edge in the Orange Empire Conference on Wed. Mar. 4, when they host the Saddleback College Gauchos.

First pitch on Wednesday is at 2:30 p.m.