Tips and tricks: How to stay busy during quarantine

Staying up late, sleeping in and catching up on our Netflix queue is always a great, however, eventually we must get out of bed.

Students, whose job falls under the “non-essential” category of the Orange County Health Officer’s Order, are finding themselves out of work and finding alternative ways to occupy their extra time. People who wouldn’t typically have the time are starting to get active. Students can get active indoors or outdoors and all while following the six-foot- rule.

“I never have time to work out and I never do skype, but I finally did a group chat workout this morning via skype with a coworker who also happens to be a dance instructor,” said Fullerton College student Denise Ruiz. Ruiz is also a barber in Downtown Fullerton and currently is out of work. “I’ve also been cooking a lot more, cleaning and doing laundry.”

During time of coronavirus, people can spend their time cleaning
During time of coronavirus, people can spend their time cleaning Photo credit: Care

This extra time is the best time to start cleaning the house and organizing areas that have been neglected for way too long. Many of us have a miscellaneous pile that we keep putting off for another day.

For others, it’s a time for self-reflection or religious pilgrimage. Since social gatherings have been omitted from our lives for the time being, many churches have recorded their sermons and posted them online, people can virtually pray together or pray just within their household.

“We get up in the morning and do a morning bible study, have breakfast and walk around the complex to burn some calories, but I’ve been definitely cleaning the house, things you don’t normally clean every day,” said FC student Mary Matias. She works for Orange County Head Start but is currently not working since schools are closed.

People can spend their time writing out a list to do throughout the day to stay busy
People can spend their time writing out a list to do throughout the day to stay busy Photo credit: Liveabout.com

Spring cleaning is in full effect for many people, but there are other students whose jobs remain open and keeping them busy, these students must still keep up with the transition to online courses.

“Work keeps me very busy most days of the week, but I still find the time to play some basketball with my little brother to maintain active,” said FC student Jazlyn Valentin. She has been feeling apprehensive of the transition to online learning, “I’m not very tech-savvy so I’m a little worried because I’ve never taken an online class.” She is, however, starting to read more during this quarantine to help improve in her studies.

Covid-19 is teaching people to stay at home and exercise
Covid-19 is teaching people to stay at home and exercise Photo credit: healthline

Whether you’re cleaning, exercising or praying, any form of self-improvement lifts our energy and morale. If exercising or praying isn’t your preference, students can meditate or practice yoga as an alternative form.

We can go back to our youth when we had the time to draw just for fun, play board games or read a series of books we couldn’t put down. Exercising doesn’t always have to be physical but mental. Crotchet for beginners is just a click away with today’s technology and an excellent craft to stimulate the mind.