Transfer Center still available through online services

With Fullerton College Transfer Center currently closed on campus due to COVID-19, the service is looking to function online to keep up to date for upcoming transferring students.

COVID-19 has shut down the Fullerton College Transfer Center physically, but services are moving online as deadlines and schedules begin to shift at universities.

This Instagram post from the FC Transfer Center drew attention to their new online answer forum.
This Instagram post from the FC Transfer Center drew attention to their new online answer forum. Photo credit: FC Transfer Center

The center is currently closed for all in-person counseling and advising services, but preparations for eCounseling and eAdvising are underway.

Online counseling is set to replace physical meetings with counselors through phone and video conferences. Online advising will be set up for online transfer and application assistance.

The FC Center is currently advertising an online workshop called Virtual Pizza with Private Schools. This caters towards students interested in private universities such as Biola, LaVerne, and DeVry, and is now available for RSVP on Eventbrite.

Staff will be available online for remote services during this spring break. They will communicate with students through the center’s question submission forum located on their main page. Their hours during the break will be as follows:

Monday, Apr. 6 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Tuesday, Ap. 7 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Wednesday, Apr. 8 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Director Cecilia Arriaza has expressed her support for students who are anxious about their upcoming transfer status. “The best thing students can do is try to focus on completing their current courses successfully and reach out to their instructors if they are struggling. There are several supports in places, such as online tutoring to help students in this transition,” said Arriaza.

Students looking to transfer this coming fall of 2020 should note that some California State Universities have expressed their willingness to extend deadlines, though dates may vary by campus. Normally, the CSU general attendance deadline is May 1, while the UC systems’ is June 1.

Transfer students are honored through the Look Who’s Transferring! display on the front window of the Transfer Center
Transfer students are honored through the Look Who’s Transferring! display on the front window of the Transfer Center Photo credit: FC Transfer Center

The Transfer Center advises students in the current application cycle to frequently check university emails and portals for updates. They have also created a Linktree page where you can find fall admissions news from UCs and CSUs.

Below is the current status of UC and CSU deadlines which have not yet deviated from their traditional dates:

Students applying to UC for winter 2021 – July 1-31

Students applying to CSU for spring 2021 – August 1-31

Students applying to CSU for fall 2021 – Oct.1-Nov. 30

Students applying to UC for fall 2021 – Nov. 1-30

“Students should also stay in contact with their intended transfer university and let them know of any changes to their schedules that might affect their admissions. If denied, there is always an appeals process for extenuating circumstances, but these are time-sensitive,” said Arriaza.

Questions from students are encouraged and will be answered within 24 to 48 hours through the “Submit a Question” online form at https://transfer.fullcoll.edu/submit-a-question/. The center’s social media and newsletter will also continue to update.