Campus ‘in full operation’ after quakes hit southland

The earthquake in La Habra this weekend, and its many aftershocks, caused some minor damage to the Fullerton College Campus but was back open for classes by Monday morning.

“There were inspections of the buildings over the weekend to look at the extent of the damages,” said Sergeant Jim McKamy from Campus Safety. “There was a full examination and the campus is in full operation. As far as I know nothing has been shut down or closed.”

Campus Safety officers and the custodial crew examined what had been affected around campus after the 3.6 and 4.1 earthquakes that struck Friday evening.

The damages included some cracks in the wall of the 1400 building, a light fixture dangling in the 600 building, and other minor damage in the 400 building.

_MG_6755.JPG
The La Habra earthquake and its aftershocks caused cracks to appear in the recently built 1400 Building. Photo credit: Greg Diaz

The Library sustained larger damage. A leaking pipe and light fixtures that came loose forced the library to close on Saturday for the students’ safety, as they brought in electricians and plumbers to make repairs.

Since the bigger earthquakes were on Friday evening and continued on Saturday morning, there were fewer people on campus. Nobody was reported to have been hurt.

However, seeing as the aftershocks were still going several days after, people on campus might find their daily routines to be suddenly interrupted by some shaking.

Some students expressed concern about the idea of finding themselves in a small desk when an earthquake hits.

“I didn’t feel safe when one hit because the building I was in is so old. It really just depends where I am, though,” said Tiffany Carr, business major. “It’s frightening but I do feel at least somewhat prepared.”

Kamy’s best advice to anyone, anywhere is to remember to drop, cover and hold.

“That’s the most important thing right there,” Kamy said. “The best thing is to protect yourself first. That’s got to be an instinct that when something starts shaking you immediately go under something – a table or whatever you can – and you stay there until it stops and then you evacuate.”

Another suggestion is to have an earthquake preparedness kit handy. Kamy advised keeping one in your car as well.

The American Red Cross suggests equipping an emergency kit with supplies like water, non-perishable food, flashlight, hand-crank radio, extra batteries, emergency blanket, sanitation and personal hygiene items, and a first aid kit.

Fullerton College students were also prepped on evacuation plans during the state’s Great Shakeout on Oct. 17, 2013. The emergency drill instructed students about where to go during an earthquake.

Fullerton most likely hasn’t seen the end of these small aftershocks this week but it is important to be prepared on how to deal with them.