Campus faces scam

Students have been scammed before and they are sure to be scammed again. As the price of gas rises and the price of other essentials goes up the cost of living gets difficult people get desperate.

On March 26 an email went out to administration and staff telling them about an event on campus where a man went into a class room trying to sell packages for paintball. Olivia Wolf from Natural Sciences called campus safety to because the man came to her classroom and interrupted her lecture.

The email also said that the man was escorted off campus only after he was seen getting credit card information from students.

Sgt, Bonilla from campus safety said that the officers responded to the call and advised the man to go through the pacific procedures that are required for selling things like that on campus.

According to IdentityHawk.com Scammers specifically target college students. “Thieves go to the extra trouble because students are soft targets and easy money. Scam artists often set up booths on weekend nights when students are in, shall we say, a celebratory mood and more likely to do something spontaneous, like sign up for a credit card to get a goofy hat with the school logo on it.

“If your interested (in the item being sold) acquire more information.” Sgt. Bonilla said. This is advice that many people could benefit from. Many students have gotten into credit card debt because of scams like this.