Election season lacks campus participation

The candidates running in this semester’s Associated Students elections delivered their speeches despite the lack of involvement from the student body. The audience surrounding the candidates were composed of less than fifteen people, many of them already members of A.S.

The different candidates were running for A.S. president, A.S. vice president, treasurer, Inter-Club Council president, student trustee and A.S senator.

“I feel like it was a good turn out, there has been other elections where a single question wasn’t asked,” said Jose Solano, A.S. president candidate.

According to Solano, he got involved on campus and with A.S. after realizing there were many issues that he could see resolved.

The lack of attendees meant many of the candidates did not receive any questions that were directed at them. Giving them the ability to state their case without student involvement.

“Students aren’t as involved as I think they should be,” said Sean Douglas, running for A.S. vice president.

Solano and Douglas pressed that students will only get involved if they see their peers participating in school activities.

“If you want people to be involved, you have to get involved yourself and be an inspiration,” Douglas said.

Douglas hopes that his involvement with A.S. currently as a senator will allow other students to learn and become involved too.

Giselle Neel, dance and paralegal studies major was one of the few who was present throughout the speeches and is also a write-in candidate for A.S. senator.

Among the few audience members, some of the questions directed towards the candidates involved campus budget, drought efficiency and issues among lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students.

“I thought they [candidates] were impassioned, mostly on point and very enthusiastic,” said Giselle Neel, dance and paralegal studies major.

The A.S. elections will ended Thursday.